Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive opening files with wrong app

IOS9.0.2 on iPad & iPhone

I have Numbers files in the iCloud Numbers folder - they open correctly from within the Numbers app.

Double tap in iCloud Drive and they try to open in MindNode app - File info indicates they are numbers spreadsheets files but has 'Open in MindNode'

Share icon doesn't have Numbers listed.

On my Mac they all open correctly.

How do I get them assigned in IOS to the correct app?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 10:41 AM

24 replies

Oct 2, 2015 11:40 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I'm not sure what you mean by "that's how it is".

Are you suggesting that this is how it should work? If so, I would think that rather odd.

Or, that I'm ahead of my time and this is a feature yet to be included? Which I guess is possible.

Or, that this is how it works at the moment for some strange and possibly erroneous design reason? Which is also possible.

Or, what?

My question was asking how to get the opening app assignment changed.

Oct 2, 2015 11:54 AM in response to Hampshireboy

I think the formats are slightly different in documents from the mobile and from the Mac, if you want to be sure of opening a document, open it through numbers and not iCloud Drive, I don't know if this is something that will change or not.

If you have any suggestions that you think might enhance iCloud you can send Apple your feedback here.

Oct 4, 2015 10:51 AM in response to Winston Churchill

It's not just a problem with Numbers. I have Pixelmator installed on my iPad and every time I tap a PDF in iCloud Drive, it opens Pixelmator and converts the PDF to an image. I can use the share button to copy the PDF into a more appropriate app, but I'd like to just be able to tap on the document and open it directly. In iCloud Drive, when I tap the "i" next to the document, I get the info sheet for the PDF and a great big blue link to "Open in "Pixelmator". I haven't found any way to correct the behaviour.

Oct 4, 2015 11:19 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I realize that there is are alternate ways to open documents on the iPad. I can't speak for anyone else in this thread, but my question is not about howto work around the problem. I'm asking if there is a way to set up the iCloud Drive app so that tapping a document will automatically open it in the correct app or perhaps set a default app for particular file types.

As a matter of fact, GoodReader is the app that I use for organizing and reading PDFs, so some of the PDFs I'm talking about are in the GoodReader folder in iCloud Drive. One might expect that a document placed on iCloud Drive by a particular app would automatically open in that app, but that's not the way it works. It doesn't even matter if I go into the Pixelmator settings and turn off iCloud Drive for Pixelmator. All PDFs, regardless of how they got onto iCloud Drive, open in Pixelmator.

Oct 4, 2015 2:44 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Dear Winston,

I appreciate that you are a Level 10 contributor, but you are not in anyway contributing to solving the problem that I and others are experiencing. I know what you are saying and, originally - before iCloud Drive was a dedicated iOS app - what you are suggesting is the way it worked - and was expected to work. Now there is an iCloud Drive app and I know that selecting a PDF document and it trying to open in MindNode Pro is not expected behaviour. Moreover, I'm pretty certain that Apple is not expecting this behaviour either :-)

I use iCloud Drive to store different types of documents in folders dedicated to different projects. The folder is the starting point of the workflow - not the app. Frequently, I can't remember in what format the document I am seeking is in - did I create it in Pages, Numbers, PDF or whatever.... If the Drive doesn't function in the way that we expect what is the point of it! We might as well not have the iCloud Drive App and go back to the way things were before - pre-iOS 9.

Again, if anyone does come up with a solution - rather than a workaround - please post :-)

Regards

Chris

Oct 5, 2015 7:47 AM in response to Hampshireboy

'Open in app' has been an option since long, long before the iCloud Drive app.

I'm not saying you can't open apps from the iCloud Drive app, just that Apple seem to primarily intend you opening them from the app. The problem seems obvious to me when investigating (say) a numbers document, in that one saved from the iOS version of numbers to a non-numbers folder is readily opened from iCloud Drive into numbers, whereas a numbers document saved from OSX into the same folder is not recognised as a numbers document. This pattern is not limited to numbers either.

Oct 12, 2015 6:51 PM in response to Hampshireboy

I know exactly what you mean, I had the same issue and it is really annoying!!!! I guess Winston couldn't understand what we meant or maybe the issue wasn't explained correctly. I guess that the best way to put it is that when trying to open a "preview" of any file within the iCloud Drive app instead it opens it in the mindnode app AND IT IS SO ANNOYING since it didn't happen at first.

I Solved the issue though and it's really easy, I uninstalled mindnode from my iPad and iPhone 6plus and reinstalled de previous version of mindnode that I still had in iTunes.

What is causing the whole problem is the latest mindnode update...

I Guess the next mindnode update will correct the issue but in the mean time I keep the older version that actually works perfectly for me...

Hope this helps!

iCloud Drive opening files with wrong app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.