Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Server stuck on Updating services

Hello I was updating server from 4.0.3 to 5.0.4 and i am getting this error after it has update and relaunched, it just kind of hangs here? Any help would be appreciated...

Best!

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 2:08 PM

Back up all data.

Quit the Server application and drag it to the Trash, but don't empty. You'll be prompted to confirm that you want to stop all services. You won't lose any data.

If you're using the server for DNS, temporarily change the primary DNS setting in the Network preference pane to another DNS.

Put the app back where it was and launch it. Test.

Revert the DNS setting, if applicable.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2015 2:08 PM in response to rmancera

Back up all data.

Quit the Server application and drag it to the Trash, but don't empty. You'll be prompted to confirm that you want to stop all services. You won't lose any data.

If you're using the server for DNS, temporarily change the primary DNS setting in the Network preference pane to another DNS.

Put the app back where it was and launch it. Test.

Revert the DNS setting, if applicable.

Oct 2, 2015 2:41 PM in response to Linc Davis

Back up all data? If Server is moved to the trash it wouldn't delete anything from the /library directory anyways? right?

And lets say i already kind of did this with no avail, in a slightly different way

Force Quit Server setup

Deleted app from Applications folder

Empty Bin

Re-download a fresh version of server 5.0.4 from the app store, still having the same issues?

Sorry in advance, i am new to this

Oct 14, 2015 11:05 AM in response to rmancera

When you aborted the first setup, data may be left in a state where future setup attempts fail. If you have a backup of the original data prior to updating (specifically from /Library/Server), you can try deleting Server.app and /Library/Server, restore the backup of /Library/Server, and try installing and setting up Server again. Another thing to consider would be to post your /Library/Logs/ServerSetup.log and any other /Library/Logs/ServerSetup_*.log files, as that should help show why the first setup hung.

OS X Server stuck on Updating services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.