Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to add a plugin to an input in Logic 10.2, so that the recorded track has been effected by the plugin?

I'm starting a project Monday with some clients, and we've been talking about recording tracks using some UAD plugins on the input, specifically the Neve 1073, so that the recorded audio has been run through the plugin. I have done this in Studio One, where plugins can be added to inputs, but can't seem to find anything about it in Logic, which is very much my preferred DAW. The client feels that this will free up resources on mix down, as those plugs will then not be needed. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), UAD Satellite Quad

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 10:32 AM

12 replies

Oct 2, 2015 11:25 AM in response to DonRichmond81101

Don,

I'm still using Logic-9, I'm assuming this is still in Logic-X.

You will be looking to create an "Input" channel strip object, change it to mono for a single input, then select the correct input and add plugins, they will be printed to the track.

I add one or more Input objects to my screen set "Mixer" page.

Let me know if you need more info.

Oct 2, 2015 11:55 AM in response to Pancenter

Thanks Pancenter - although I never used input channels in Logic 9, I was pretty sure that such things existed. However, I'm not finding them in Logic X - no results in searching the help, and no sign of them in the mixer view "add" menus. I have been experimenting with creating aux channels, then assigning the outputs of those to buses, then selecting that bus as the input for the track I actually want to record. It's clumsy, as I now have 2 additional channels in the mixer for anytime I want to record with an input plugin. But I think it will work. My only question with that approach is if the plugin delay compensation will still make sure everything lines up, especially with a UAD plugin that will certainly have some latency. I think it will, but we'll see! Thanks again and all best -

Oct 3, 2015 6:37 AM in response to Pancenter

Thank you Pancenter, and The Art of Sound - I was working in the mixer window, rather than the environment mixer. Found it exactly as you said. Much appreciate the help. (All advanced tools were turned on, BTW.)

I do have another question, although this may be a topic for a new thread - Does Logic include input channels in its automatic delay compensation?

I see two scenarios for the compensation question - first is, recording something through a UAD plug-in on an input to previously recorded tracks - is the inherent latency in the UAD plug-in compensated for?

And secondly - is it able to do so when a UAD plug-in is on one input and another input is also being recorded without a plug-in inserted?

Any light on these scenarios would be greatly appreciated - thanks again for the help, and all best wishes -

Is there a way to add a plugin to an input in Logic 10.2, so that the recorded track has been effected by the plugin?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.