Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

alphabetic order A-Z in Pages

As a frequent user of Word do I very much miss a function with is called a-z.

I now and then to lists (not tabell/ table) of words and then want them in alphabetic order, in word i simply mark all the words and then press the a-z button and then all the words switch into alphabetic order, very simple.

Since i bought a Mac computer I more and more use Pages, but can't find this funktion.

Does it exist?

If not i really hope it soon will be included in the program.

Sincerely Ellinor

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 3:43 PM

No version of Pages natively provides alphabetic sorting. Install the free WordService application from the OS X App Store. When it downloads, it will install several Services that are accessible in any document that receives text input — including Pages. The WordService application installs into your Applications folder, and also appears on Launchpad. When you launch it, click on its Help button. This will launch the Preview PDF reader which will display a description of each of the services in Word Service. Chief among them for you is WordService:Sort Ascending, or its Descending counterpart.

You will need to launch System Preferences from your Dock, and go to the Keyboard panel, and select the Shortcuts tab, and then the Services item. Scroll down through the Services items until you encounter the WordService services. Check WordService:Sort Lines Ascending to enable it.

Back in Pages, select the column of words that you want sorted. Then, from the Pages menu, choose Services WordService:Sort Lines Ascending. Your selected content will be sorted instantly.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2015 3:43 PM in response to Ellinor Albinsdotter

No version of Pages natively provides alphabetic sorting. Install the free WordService application from the OS X App Store. When it downloads, it will install several Services that are accessible in any document that receives text input — including Pages. The WordService application installs into your Applications folder, and also appears on Launchpad. When you launch it, click on its Help button. This will launch the Preview PDF reader which will display a description of each of the services in Word Service. Chief among them for you is WordService:Sort Ascending, or its Descending counterpart.

You will need to launch System Preferences from your Dock, and go to the Keyboard panel, and select the Shortcuts tab, and then the Services item. Scroll down through the Services items until you encounter the WordService services. Check WordService:Sort Lines Ascending to enable it.

Back in Pages, select the column of words that you want sorted. Then, from the Pages menu, choose Services WordService:Sort Lines Ascending. Your selected content will be sorted instantly.

alphabetic order A-Z in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.