Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.0.2, Battery Consumption Problem

Upgraded my iPhone5S iOS to 9.0.2. It completely consumes the battery in a couple of hours. How can I downgrade back to earlier version to avoid this?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.2, Battery consumption

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 11:42 AM

16 replies

Oct 2, 2015 12:53 PM in response to SannaEu

Apple has stopped signing iOS 8.4.1 and 9.0. The only options you have now are 9.0.1 and 9.0.2. Although I expect that within the next couple of days 9.0.1 will no longer be signed either.

A couple of things you can do would be to double click your home button and close all open apps.Then reset the iPhone by holding the lock and home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. You will not lose anything by doing this, it's just like restarting a computer.

Use the iPhone normally for a while and then go to Settings | Battery and under battery usage you can see what apps are using the most battery.

Oct 6, 2015 6:10 AM in response to SannaEu

Hi,

I have an iPhone 6. I have always thought the battery life has been decent. Since upgrading to IOS 9.0.2 the battery life has become really poor. Even when all my apps are closed and the usual battery saving techniques are in place. I have noticed that turning off automatic updates for apps seems to have made an improvement. Before I was losing 10% of battery after about 20 minutes even if the phone was in standby and not being used. Now it has lasted 45 minutes only losing 2%. I wonder if there is a bug where the phone was looking for app updates even if there weren't any? I will keep a close eye on my battery life over the coming hours, but so far so good.

Oct 6, 2015 6:16 AM in response to SannaEu

Downgrade was never supported by Apple.

Try to follow the instructions on this page in order to maximize your battery life:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/21/fix-ios-9-battery-life-problems/

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/ios-82-battery-life-problems-how-fix-quick-drain-is sues-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-422229

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on the phone.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

You may also try to reset all settings: go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

You may also try to follow these steps:

1. Navigate to settings/general/ battery usage. Check the applications. This will show you which app eats up your battery.

2. Turn off iCloud keychain: Navigate to Settings/ iCloud/Keychain / turn it off.

3. Limit apps activity on the background: Navigate to Settings/ general/ Background App refresh/ turn it off for each application which uses to much power.

4. Disable auto brightness: Navigate to settings/ display and brightness/ auto-brightness. Turn this option off.

Oct 8, 2015 5:20 AM in response to wilsondan1994

I suggest you log an incident call with Apple.

i have the same problem, iphone 5s with 9.0.2 and the battery went from 20% to 3 % right in front of my eye while using it!

Logged the call and ask to restore 9.0.2 which I did but today its still draining to fast and jumps, so for example was at 45% for ages while using it. stopped using it a few minutes then picked it up and it went to 33%.

I think there is something wrong with the algorithm that they have used in the 5S, that or the a/d converters that work out the battery volts has a glitch with the new software.

I down graded to 8.4.1 and it worked fine, but now I tried 9.0.2 again the fault is back and now I can't downgrade as apple have stopped singing it.

I'm due a call back today from apple support to see if it is fixed so will be telling them NO its not.

Oct 9, 2015 4:29 AM in response to SannaEu

@anypats..i am working s tecnical engineer ..iphones computers almost all electronic goods..alomst 6 years now on this field..but this is the st time i m experiencing like this ..mysel i troubleshooetd alot ..stoping bckground refresh..turnig some restrictions ..fresh instsllation of ios, and more..if apple continues like this ..soon the reputation will be down....

Oct 9, 2015 5:32 AM in response to anypats

I Also had the same issue, charged my 6S plus to 100% and didn't touch it at all overnight. Woke up with nearly 4.5 hrs usage and 7 hrs standby. Checked my mail settings, disabled Bluetooth since it was connected to my Apple Watch on charger, and had all apps closed. after a hard reset it's better but still on occasion have the phantom usage start crawling up. Very annoying

Oct 12, 2015 5:08 AM in response to iosdroid

finally i founded solution for massive battery drain in iphone 5s after ios 9 update..i dont know how much logic on these but its gvs somthing to smile..

this is only my personal experience a true experience...

i had issue with battery draining after ios 9 updates..sleep less nights , searching for solutions..nothing helps ..

chated with apple agent..nothing helps..

after all the failures u found out myself smthng to smile..

my iphon gets hot everytime after that i m experiencing massive battery drains..

so the 1st step is removing iphone covers..use wthout fancy covers ..bcz ios 9 is added with powerful new fetures thts mks i phone cpu too much loads and mks the device heats .so just use your iphone without any rubber or metal covers..

then another solution is to clean the speaker area also microphone ..remove the dirts inside ..gv space to heat comes out..

..after this ..i seen myself my iphone not droping battery like bfr..its a clear ios 9 bugs..but this is a small solution for thise who experiencing poor batterydrain..

1.remove any covers.

2.clean the speaker microphone charging socket ..

so thats it a small solution for battety drain..but i dont know how much logic on these .but its works fr me..

its a ios bug..we can wait for apple new update to fix for this ..we love iphones..its not intended to use like this..but we can hope..everything will be fine ....cheers

Oct 12, 2015 5:16 AM in response to SannaEu

finally i founded solution for massive battery drain in iphone 5s after ios 9 update..i dont know how much logic on these but its gvs somthing to smile..

i had issue with battery draining after ios 9 updates..sleep less nights , searching for solutions..nothing helps ..

my iphon gets hot everytime after that i m experiencing massive battery drains..

so the 1st step is removing iphone covers..use wthout fancy covers ..bcz ios 9 is added with powerful new fetures thts mks i phone cpu too much loads and mks the device heats .so just use your iphone without any rubber or metal covers..

then another solution is to clean the speaker area also microphone ..remove the dirts inside ..gv space to heat comes out..

..after this ..i seen myself my iphone not droping battery like bfr..its a clear ios 9 bugs..but this is a small solution for thise who experiencing poor batterydrain..

1.remove any covers.

so thats it a small solution for battety drain..but i dont know how much logic on these .but its works fr me..

its a ios bug..we can wait for apple new update to fix for this ..we love iphones..its not intended to use like this..but we can hope..everything will be fine ....cheers

Oct 12, 2015 6:15 AM in response to wilsondan1994

1.remove any covers.

Oct 15, 2015 2:16 PM in response to wilsondan1994

Battery has been draining and jumping too since the ios 9.0.2 update. Barely use the phone and the battery keeps draining. Worked perfectly before the update. no complaints what so ever.

iOS 9.0.2, Battery Consumption Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.