Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan installation problem MacBook

i have 13 inch MacBook Pro retina and for the past 2 days I have been trying to upgrade to el capitan. I download the installer and the installation goes smooth, but once it finishes, it goes black and the Mac does not restart. Pressing any button makes the backlight go off however the screen os just black. I leave it like that for a while however it does not do anything. When I try to restart it manually the boot takes a very long time and once it gets done, the login appears with several flashing vertical lines and hust a great background eben though it's supposed to be my blurred background image. Typing my password takes a long time as it starts lagging a lot. Once I get logged in the computer is very laggy and unusable. What went wrong apple? how does this happen to a laptop like this?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 12:23 PM

14 replies

Oct 2, 2015 12:34 PM in response to alyskov

Try a PRAM reset since this can help with visual issues and clearing old caches that could be causing the issue.

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If this doesn't fix it, you may need to reinstall. The installer could have been corrupted from a poor/interrupted internet connection. Could have also happened from an interrupted install (Battery dying, closing the lid, etc...)

I would boot to the Recovery by holding Command + R after you hear the startup chime. Go to Disk Utility > First Aid > Select your hard drive and click "Repair Disk." This can take several minutes.

If it says "The Volume Macintosh HD appear to be ok," and it still doesn't boot, you likely need to reinstall El Capitan.

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

When you reinstall it always downloads the newest version so you shouldn't have to worry about reinstalling the same bad copy.

Oct 2, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Denbee

You said you can get to the login screen correct? If there is no chime, it could be because of your volume settings.

Are you seeing the Apple when it starts up? You want to hold Option + Command + P + R before you see the Apple. So literally right after you hit the power button. I honestly think a reinstall would fix this. I haven't seen the other threads but I'll take a look.

Oct 2, 2015 2:52 PM in response to Pmintz25

It was not a volume issue, but I was finally able to:

1. Reset PRAM - did not solve issue.

2. Booted in safe mode and ran disk utility - did not solve issue

3. Booted in safe mode, downloaded El Capitan and reinstalled - computer froze up at the same point.

I've be using macs since they first came out. Have administered labs of Macs. Never had this problem updating the OS before.

Oct 2, 2015 10:19 PM in response to Denbee

Sounds like a good call. Sorry I couldn't help much. I would test how it works before you transfer data using Time Machine.

Just see if it works ok with a brand new user. That way, if it has the problem again when you put your info back on the computer, you will know there is something on your account causing the issue.

Good luck!

Oct 5, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Denbee

Denbee-

The startup chime is generated in software after the Power-On Self Test passes. No chime means you have a Hardware problem in the processor, firmware, or RAM Memory.

NO code from the drive has been loaded at that point, so your Upgrade status does not matter. You do not even need to have a drive installed to get the chime.

If your Mac blinks the Power-on/Sleep indicator, that often means, "Not enough working RAM memory to start up".

Oct 12, 2015 8:58 PM in response to Pmintz25

so, I restore to Yosemite and tried redownloading and installing El Capitan twice more, same result, leggy and weird installation and with no restarting, forcing me to power off manually. And again once the whole thing is completed - the grey login screen without a background image and very slow typing. And once again slow loading graphics with vertical stripes appearing.

ssince that didnt work I tried downloading the installer fully not through the App Store. The installation befan normally, but when it said that your computer will restart, it never did, just closed all the windows but wouldn't restart. I waited for a while but just switched the computer off to stop the installation. How're when it turned on the installation commenced. That resulted in the same thing. laggy performance and vertical stripes and all the other problems.

maybe there is something wrong or missing with the current OS I have installed? I am very surprised why this is happening, usually it is a very simple procedure.

Im writing this post from my iPhone as my computer is once again being restored back to Yosemite with time machine. Should I wait for another update? Nothing seems to be working. And I don't have the time or the possibility to perform a clean install.

Oct 13, 2015 12:35 PM in response to alyskov

A clean install may be what you need though. This seems to be a number if issues happening at the same time. Since you are trying to upgrade to a newer OS, you can get free support from AppleCare. They may be the best place to go for this issue.

Only other thing I would suggest is downloading El Capitan from another internet connection. Perhaps you are having some package loss issues with your connection and it is not downloading correctly. Maybe ask a neighbor or go to the Apple Store and download it on their network. They can help you with it from there if the issue persists.

Nov 5, 2015 4:31 AM in response to Pmintz25

I upgraded a MacBook Air (2010) from Yosemite to El Capitan without a hitch. Encouraged, I tried the same on my MBP Retina 15 but ran into same problems as others. First, I installed directly from App Store and when that failed I did a clean install using a bootable USB install drive. Restrored all files from latest Time Machine backup in both cases. Both lead to spinning ball at startup. Unable to log in with my user id and password--just the spinning ball. Am not restoring the Yosemite system from Time Machine.

Any solutions out there?

Nov 5, 2015 7:54 AM in response to Denbee

Several Users have posted this anecdotal solution that worked for them.

Boot into Safe Mode.

Finder > Go > Goto folder: /Library/Extensions

... (this folder is used for all Non-Apple extensions)

create a new folder named "Extensions (disabled)" in the Library folder ( right next to the Extensions folder).

Move all the files in Extensions to Extensions (disabled).

restart in "regular mode"

Your problem of non-starting in regular mode should be fixed.

If you need some of those Extensions on your Mac, return them to their position in the Extensions folder one at a time and test each one. Be sure to check troublesome extensions for up-to-date.

El Capitan installation problem MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.