Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air sleep/black screen issue 2015

I have a Macbook Air that I purchased in 2013. Recently in 2015 (I believe after a firmware update) when I close the lid and reopen all I get is a black screen. Also, after the computer sits idle for a while and goes to sleep the screen will not wake. No key combination will wake it. I cannot tell if it is just the screen/keyboard backlights or a bigger issue. When the screen is black the computer is still on because I have to hold the power button and force it off before I can turn it back on and use it again. I wiped the drive and restored to original factory settings and the issue continues. In safe mode the issue does not happen. Please help.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 11:46 AM

4 replies

Oct 6, 2015 10:39 AM in response to lunatyk05

I found the problem do this

Resetting NVRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM, you may need to reconfigure settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.

If issues related to these features continue on a desktop Mac (like an iMac, Mac mini or Mac Pro), its logic board battery may need to be replaced. The logic board battery on desktop computers helps retain NVRAM settings when your Mac is unplugged. You can take your Mac to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to replace the battery on the logic board.

Oct 6, 2015 11:29 AM in response to qx1

I guess I should have also mentioned that I have already tried resetting the NVRAM as well as the SMC and it had no effect on the issue. I believe it is a firmware issue, I just have no idea what to do to resolve it. If I could find a place to download and reinstall the old firmware I would like to give that a shot.

Macbook Air sleep/black screen issue 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.