Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can`t start my iMac after El Capitan install. Got the code -501 OF

Tried PRAM to fix it, but won`t start. When using R+cmd+alt i get the code -501 OF. What does that mean and what do I do next?

iMac, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 11:29 AM

16 replies

Oct 2, 2015 1:27 PM in response to rindag

If you used a cleaner or any type of antivirus and it is still installed that might be the problem. OS X does not require any of that stuff, there are no viruses for OS X and unlike MS Windows it does not require "cleaning." If you happened to have installed CleanMyMac and it is still installed that is considered malware and may be the cause of your problem.

Try to restart in the Recovery Partition as mentioned above and re-install OS X. After you have successfully restarted please post an EtreCheckreport of your system and we can look for other red flags.

Oct 2, 2015 2:13 PM in response to rkaufmann87

That`s right. I don`t come further than the grey apple-screen with no process starting.

And when I`m going to reinstall the OS X it first ask for the network, then the language. Then I have to choose the Harddisk I want install it to. Then it ask for my apple-id. And that`s where it stops because of the @ I need to type. In stead of @ it writes a backspace.

Since you ask... Am I doing something wrong, you think

Oct 3, 2015 5:41 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hello again!

Can`t say how happy I am😁!

After a nights sleep I continued thinking about the @ I could`t type. I have a nowegian keyboard with a separat @-key. The Mac started up using with an english keyboard. So when I found out where to find the english @-key it was very simple. My mac loaded down the new OSX and..... all my pics and documents were intact, except my old mails. But I can live with that.

So thank you for using your time with me and my problems 🙂.

My Mac life goes on!

Best regards

rindag!

Can`t start my iMac after El Capitan install. Got the code -501 OF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.