Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard freezing after El Capitan upgrade

After upgrading to El Capitan keyboard on iMac freezes, computer makes a sound like running water and bonk, bonk. Have to reboot to fix it. Anyone know why? Thanks.

iMac, OS El Capitan

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 11:53 AM

27 replies

Aug 6, 2017 10:19 AM in response to Textalker48

I don't know if anyone is still running in to these issues, but I've just endured it, upgrading an old iMac to El Capitan and having all my bluetooth peripherals locked out.

I had a wiggly line thru' the bluetooth icon in the system tray.

I consulted my Mac expert, who maintains all my machines (we have plenty but most are a lot newer than the one in question), and he advised:

Remove plug from back of iMac. Not wall socket, from iMac. Hold power button for 5 seconds then plug back in and turn on.

I can confirm that this worked perfectly and bluetooth was restored.

Oct 6, 2015 9:36 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your response. So I did what you said, and resetting the SMC & Pram helped for 1/2 a day. Then the keyboard started acting up again. Some detail: Rebooting the comp makes the keyboard work for a while also. When it freezes up I will be typing a letter, it stops and above the letter there will be a word bubble with a line of numbers and above each number will be a foreign language letter above it. Then the computer will make a fast beats sound accompanied by bong, bong, bong (the mac startup bong noise.) To get the keyboard to work I will need to reboot again. The trackpad and mouse work fine so its not the bluetooth connection.

Any other thoughts? Defective keyboard? This all started right after the upgrade to El Capitan.

Thanks again for your help.

Oct 9, 2015 6:37 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Just a follow up in case someone else has this issue:

In checking other forums I saw a similar problem frequently occurring with magic mice, and the cause was loose batteries and they suggested putting in a foil ball to tighten the contact. So, I took a small ball of aluminum foil and put it behind the second battery in the keyboard then screwed the cover on as usual. It seems this fix which works for the mice also works for the keyboard. The spring gets loose after a while and adding the foil ball pushes the batteries far enuf into the battery chamber to get it working again.

Oct 19, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Textalker48

I've been having the same problem with my new iMac since upgrade to El Capitan. ( Text bubble appears out of nowhere, showing numbers and strong phonetic characters, keyboard freezes, then repeats prior keystrokes until I close window.) Apple Care tech suggested PRAM reset. ( See instructions elsewhere on support.) This reset fixed the problem for 10 days or so, but it has since reappeared. Apple, please acknowledge that this is an OS bug and not some mechanical problem with the input device! Also, let us know if a fix in coming in the next update. Thanks.

Oct 19, 2015 12:07 PM in response to cantb70

I'm glad you other people have posted here as it was my first thought that the El Capitan upgrade created the issue. And now that others are having the same issue, I'm sure we are right.

Putting the extra pieces of foil behind the battery has helped a great deal. Occasionally it will still glitch, if it does just turn off the keyboard by holding the side button in till the green light goes off. Wait about 20 seconds and turn it on again, it will work. I jammed some extra foil into it after the last glitch and it has been working OK for about 4 days. Hope they get it fixed at Apple.

Oct 25, 2015 4:43 AM in response to Textalker48

I'm having the exact same issue with my keyboard and it also started after upgrading to El Capitan.

To resolve the issue, I'm having to switch off the keyboard and switch it back on again. It's very inconvenient.

Looks like this issue has been caused by El Capitan. Hope that Apple recognises that this issue is now affecting a number of users and a fix is provided for the next software update.

Oct 30, 2015 5:53 AM in response to Textalker48

I write again after a few trials on this issue. In particular, I tried the SMC and PRAM resets suggested by rkaufmann87 and they seem to work only for few days. The problem will come back sooner or later. For a temporary solution, the suggestion by Textalker48of switching off the keyboard for a few seconds works great. However, the problem is there and it is linked to the upgrade to El Capitan, there is little doubt about this. The last update of El Capitan did not solve it. Let's hope for the next one.

keyboard freezing after El Capitan upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.