Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updated to el capitan and when iPhoto starts up it crashes with "unexpected error" when trying to prepare library. Help!? How can i get iPhoto to open?

I just updated my MacBook pro. When my iPhoto starts up it crashes after about 17% (Which takes hours) with "unexpected error" when trying to prepare library. Help!? Have I lost all my photos? How can i get iPhoto to open? I need my iPhoto for my work and right now I can't even get into it. Anyone know what I can do?

thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 10:35 PM

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2015 10:35 PM in response to lola4000

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Oct 3, 2015 1:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

When I try to rebuild it says its not compatible with this version and I need to update iPhoto but I can't do anything with my iPhoto because it crashes and it should be the latest version anyway...

I can see all my photos in the manager under default library, but not sure how I get these into my iPhoto if it won't open ?

thanks again

Oct 3, 2015 2:20 AM in response to lola4000

You may need to update it

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

updated to el capitan and when iPhoto starts up it crashes with "unexpected error" when trying to prepare library. Help!? How can i get iPhoto to open?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.