Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X 10.11, MRT.app reports infected with HS_GENIEO_SMJG

I just installed the update to Mac OS X (v10.11 now) and one of my computers is now reporting MRT.APP is infected with HS_GENIEO_SMJG by Trend Micro's scanner.

Does anyone else have this issue and does anyone know what this application does? It has a copyright from Apple 2015.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), Other OS, OS X El Capitan v10.11

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 1:36 PM

7 replies

Oct 2, 2015 4:03 PM in response to Animaniac151

I would not necessarily trust anything reported by "Trend Micro" or any similar utility.

If the instructions in the link provided by rkaufmann87 do not reveal the presence of Genieo, then your Mac is not affected by it and the report should be ignored. Refer to the instructions under Remove Genieo, InstallMac: "If you don't see either process, Genieo or InstallMac is probably not installed on your Mac."

Pay attention to the several easily overlooked passages directing you to restart your Mac when required.

OS X 10.11, MRT.app reports infected with HS_GENIEO_SMJG

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.