Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I started my iOS 9 download and when done its passcode locked. I never have had a passcode, so how do I fix this?

i Put iOS9 on my iPad and when it finished it has a passcode screen. My iPad has never had a passcode. I have tried different numbers and keywords, and nothing has worked. Please help!! It's not backed up since my computer memory is full, and it never download. How can this be fixed?

iPad 2, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 4:07 PM

5 replies

Oct 2, 2015 4:10 PM in response to GLG1983

A passcode would not just appear on an iPad with an iOS update. There's no reason at all why this would occur.

The only things I can think of that you may have done without realizing is somehow restore from an (encrypted) iTunes/iCloud backup while updating in iTunes. Or, the other possibility is after the iOS 9 update after you "Slide to Upgrade" you're presented with a couple setup screens. One of those screens is a passcode screen. You may have inadvertently input a passcode on this screen.

Other than this, simply downloading an iOS update on an iPad would for no reason at all unexplainably place a passcode on any iOS device.

Hope this helps!

If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

Oct 2, 2015 4:30 PM in response to GLG1983

I thought that happened to me too- but when I looked more carefully, My new phone was actually asking me for the password to my wifi - phew!

I hope you get yours sorted out. Maybe power it all the way off. when you power it on- focus carefully on each step it is asking you- and try to skip as many steps as it may let you- like don't set up or input your apple id or turn on any sharing/location etc.

good luck.

Oct 3, 2015 8:21 AM in response to GLG1983

ONE: no, you are crazy thinking it couldn't have happened after the download because it did!! I started the download and it was halfwa into and we had to leave. When we returned later and I went to turn it on, it asked for a passcode. Again, never have had one and tried many things without success. So if you think it's impossible then I have a new flaw for your upgrade!! And reading past forums on here and other sites, this has been going on since the original 7 update!! You idiots want one thing fixed and don't resolve others or realize it will effect something else. I'm screwed now and might as well toss my iPad in the trash. I've tried logging into iTunes on other computers and it won't let me under my loggin (also have had IT hep with that with no resolution) and my computer is messed up and won't allow a sync because it thinks the memory is full. so, as you can see I don't have any choice that I can see. I will NOT lose my phone too, to your idiotic crap upgrades so I will ignore further Updates from here on out. My roommates have never updated and will never because they are afraid it will harm them, and now I see why!! I love Apple products, but their updates ARE TOTAL F#^^> BS!

And for the last post: not to be rude but I think I'd know to tryEVERY possible way to get the iPad to work. If your not smart enough to hard boot it to begin with, then it's not the iPad/iPhone that has issues..... Believe me, I've tried everything, and things I've read, and nothing has worked!!

IF these tech idiots think somethings not possible when I've read countless articles and forums and blogs from clear back to the 7 upgrade with EXACT same thing happened to them, then these people aren't qualified to be helping Apple. Never say never!! I've stopped counting at 50 exact issues exactly as mine. I just realized the majority don't use Apple forums/help,and it dawned on me why - their idiots that don't know thei head from their butts!! It's clearly obvious reading above!! One, the first mistake is you never start off blaming someone saying they must have done something. Well,if your not even home to do it, it's kind of stupid to say that. And considering the facts, he has no clue of what he's talking about. And again, it is possible as myself and 50+ people are living proof he needs another occupation. Maybe AT&T retention. They train you to lie (although they'll tell you it's not really lying) to keep the customer, and after a couple weeks of feeling guilty about hurting people with the lies and all, I had to quit. They are ruthless and if this is how all these companies help, God help us as we're in for a huge problem!!

anyway, thanks for nothing!!!

Oct 3, 2015 8:50 AM in response to bren_nan

You need a new job. Are you new?? I have read over 50 people's posts of the EXACT same thing occurred with them. There's even more that sat through their upgrade and never walked away from as I did. So to accuse someone of possibly doing something after it comes back on asking the questions not knowing that I wasn't even around to answer or skip is plain rude, one, and two, your assuming- and you know what that means!!

Never just think somethings can't happen as anything is possible. And my iPad did set its own passcode and will not respond to anything I've tried, including my Apple passcode. My passcode has and always be one passcode with 3 numbers of choice added to the end. Always has been and always will. I've never been locked out by a password because of my simplicity In my password as it's easy to remember. And when none of the 3 don't work, I can say with much confidence its not me that made the issue and this one of those times.

Admit to your mistake and move on to correcting it instead of blaming everyone else. You'll find life much more relaxing and less people in your face. And if you know you can't resolve it, pass it onto someone that can. This obviously is one you know nothing about and you need a little training on. Again, there's been many with this issue, many walking into the Apple Store to fix it, so stating "they" did it when they did not is not good advice and eventually will get you in trouble.

Oct 4, 2015 7:40 AM in response to GLG1983

It doesn't appear obvious how to set an original post so stealing yours. sorry.

9.0.2 update oh joy! ............. SET IT OFF TODAY AND AN HOUR LATER WE HAVE A LOCKED UP IPAD WITH A TOTALLY RED SCREEN!!!

FINALLY GOT IT TO RESET AND GUESS WHAT.......... THE UPDATE ISN'T IN AND HAS ASKED TO BE DOWNLOADED AGAIN.

IN YOUR DREAMS, APPLE !!

P.S. JUST NOTICED THE CAPS LOCK WAS ON BUT I'M NOT TYPING THIS LOT OUT AGAIN.

I started my iOS 9 download and when done its passcode locked. I never have had a passcode, so how do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.