Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows mapped AirPort drives now show as ".com.apple.airport.sharepoint"

After installing Windows 10 on my PC, my AirPort mapped network drives (USB drives attached to AirPort...we are a Mac home!), the drives all show up as ".com.apple.airport.sharepoint"

Meaning, that when you access a drive via Windows, the ONLY thing that shows is a file labeled ".com.apple.airport.sharepoint"

The distressing part, is that in trying feverishly to find a solution, I have seen posts in the forums back to 2008 with the same question. My thinking is that it is obviously not a new issue (probably even a simple problem to fix), but the responses in the forum erroneously point to an Apple knowledgebase answer that says NOTHING relevant at all, or the question goes unanswered.

SOMEONE must know what this is all about!

A weird aspect of the problem is that Windows correctly shows how much free space the drive has, and yet no files are showing to reflect the space usage.

From a Mac, there is no problem whatsoever. The drives work as they should... no problem. Unfortunately, I use the PC to capture video, and I move 2-4gb files over to the AirPort drives so that I can work on them on the Mac (much more preferred working environment than a PC).

Note: the drives worked when first setup on Windows 10. The problem showed up later. I saw someone "guess" at the answer in another forum post, and suggested the Windows firewall was blocking access. So, I turned firewall OFF, and attempted to access...still got the same result.

I need help, and not just mental because I have to use a PC. I need a real answer! Microsoft will surely never have an answer, so I have come here to get some REAL help!

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 3:42 PM

2 replies

Oct 3, 2015 6:54 AM in response to digitaldart

Problem solved!

(red blushing face)

The problem, after spending three solid hours trying to diagnose and look it up, was nothing more than a network cable that was not fully connected. Since the cable was not connected, the PC connected to a remote WiFi signal (and not the Wifi coming off the Airport either), so I had Internet, but for the sake of being able to access the drives on my Airport, I was in reality...on a completely different network. So, I could still post my plea for help here in the support forums, but I would never see my AirPort drives. At least until I reconnected the cable! :-)

So, problem solved!

I feel like the fool enduser, where he cannot figure out why the computer will not work... and it just was not plugged in! :-0

Thank you all for learning the fool's lesson along with me!

-D

Windows mapped AirPort drives now show as ".com.apple.airport.sharepoint"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.