Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did Apple cut support for FireWire with El Capitan?

I just upgraded to El Capitan and it cannot see either of my firewire disks. One is a Firewire 800 with an older FW 400 daisy chained off the higher drive.

It was reading them before, but now cannot see them AT ALL. When the power was interrupted I got a Growl message that my FW disk "name" had been ejected inappropriately.

Disk First Aid does not see either FireWire, but System recognized the power had been cut.

<Edited by Host>

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 7:52 PM

10 replies

Apr 19, 2016 1:34 PM in response to bigbookjoe

Several responses say Apple supports firewire, and Apple says El Capitan supports FW (but it doesn't say whether it supports both 400 & 800). I had Garageband 6.0.5 receiving signal from a MOTU analog to digital interface. When I (foolishly) upgraded to GB 10, I lost the signal. Having dumped GB10, I still have a signal coming into the Macbook Pro, but nothing on the (reinstated) GB 6.0.5, or, for that matter Digital Performer (another digital audio workstation software). I would say the problem is MOTU's driver, but I got a signal before using the same driver. Apple has no idea what the problem is, so I'm going to roll back out of El Cap and hope. Burden of the message: If you don't have to change OS, don't. Also, if you have any experience with DAW (garageband before GB10, ProTools, Logic Pro, Digital Performer), look closely at GB10 before downloading. It makes life easy for people want to use loops, but it doesn't look like a classic DAW, so there will be a learning curve.

Did Apple cut support for FireWire with El Capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.