Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone pictures not showing up in Photos

Typically when i plug my phone into my Macbook Pro and open up Photos when i click my phone it shows all the pictures currently on my phone in the camera roll. It gives me the options to select which pictures i want to import then i can import them. Im plugging my phone into my computer for the first time both since i upgraded to the 6s and since i updated my computer to El Capitan. When i plug it in and open up Photos now, if i click on my phone it shows no pictures at all able to import. Help?!

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 7:57 PM

42 replies

Aug 14, 2017 4:46 PM in response to wolverineandrew

A backup is only usable for doing a full restore to the phone. It doesn't result in viewable photos on the computer.

You can transfer photos to a computer in a number of ways:

via USB cable: Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

via 3rd party apps such as: http://www.photosync-app.com

via Photo Stream: My Photo Stream FAQ - Apple Support

via iCloud Photo Library which will result in a copy of all photos being on iCloud, on your Mac in the Photos app if you turn it on, and on your phone. You can turn on Optimize Storage to reduce the storage space required on the phone: iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

Apr 23, 2017 10:42 AM in response to Macabilly5

Thank you for this tip. We have an Iphone 7+ and I started looking at posts because we gave up on APerture for our photos and decided that we needed to move over to Photos. The same thing happened with Photos, the photos app could not see the photos on the iphone. After trying your trick, the photos showed up in Photos AND they also showed up in Aperture. Thank you for the tip. I will continue to see if dropbox is also a variable in this equation. just wanted to thank you for taking the time to post this.

Aug 1, 2017 8:11 PM in response to wolverineandrew

tl;dr

I had this same issue today 08/01/2017 10:00PM on my iPhone 6s Plus

I plugged my phone into my iMac with a third-party cable.

My Mac prompted me that this computer needed to be Authorized for the 5 new apps that were installed recently

So I clicked Authorize

5 seconds later it says this computer is already Authorized

So I open the Photos App on my iMac and all my photos stored on the computer are there.

When I click on Import>iPhone it says no photos.

I searched and was taken here.

Saw all the steps you all recommended

Didn't feel like doing that.

So I hit ⌘ + q to quit the Photos App

Reopened Photos and it loaded the Photos on my iPhone.

I chose to import and delete after importing.

Thankfully I did not need to restart my phone, do a weird dance to get reception, nor stand on my head to get it to work.

Hopefully these steps work for others with this weird issue.

Aug 7, 2017 4:37 PM in response to wolverineandrew

I'm having this problem for the first time (iPhone 6+ running whatever the most recent IOS is, iMac running 10.12.6 Sierra). Photos sees some photos, but not all. There is a whole bunch I shot a couple of weeks ago that it refuses to see, although it has imported photos from just before and just after I shot them. I've restarted Photos, I've restarted the phone, and I've restarted the iMac. Still happening.

Aug 12, 2017 4:54 PM in response to wolverineandrew

The traditional way to transfer pictures from iPhone 7 to Mac is using iPhoto which you know about *********. Plug your iPhone or iPad into the Mac if it's not already, and you'll see the appropriate icon appear in iPhoto's left-hand menu bar under DEVICES. Click the iPhone and you'll see information about all the snaps on there, together with the option to import selected photos, or to import all of them (250 in our case) at once. Select the option you prefer. Therefore, your iPhone 7 pictures can be transferred to Mac. On the other hand, you can apply iTunes to backup or sync your iPhone 7 pictures to save them.

<Link Edited by Host>

Aug 14, 2017 2:29 PM in response to James Mol

After months of my wife's phone dumping photos with no problem (iCloud Photo Library has been on), only 2 of our 5 days out east showed up on the mac. Following the steps below, as her iPhone prepared to airdrop them to my iPad, they showed up on the Mac. I rewrote step 3 and 5 for clarity

1. Select the pictures on the iPhone that are not showing up in Photos.

2. Tap the share button

3. Turn on a second iPhone or iPad with AirDrop on.

4. Select airdrop

5. As airdrop prepared the photos, they also showed up in Photos.

6. Select Import all new Photos.

Dec 13, 2017 10:12 AM in response to wolverineandrew

Hi, has anyone found a way to fix this issue yet? I have same problem - when I plug my 6S plus into either my Mac or my MacBook Air, neither can see the photos on my phone.

My 6S is updated to 11.2, the Mac is running High Sierra 10.13.1 & the MacBook is on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5.

This is driving me nuts as I have loads of photos & videos that need to come off as I am out of storage, Air Drop takes forever to do & the media all takes too long to load onto email or transfer to files.

Apple, this is a major issue - please sort it out!

Thanks

iPhone pictures not showing up in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.