Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to combine two itunes itl files

For some reason, perhaps due to a previous transfer of files from an old computer, I have two itunes folders. I don't know when, but it seems itunes has shifted from using one to the other. I discovered which library it is currently using, and have managed to merge some of the folders, and imported playlists from the older xml file. I read somewhere (perhaps an answer from turingtest2 that the itl file is the most important. Is there a way to merge two .itl files?

Thanks all.

Windows 7

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 9:50 PM

5 replies

Oct 3, 2015 4:54 AM in response to NickyWilOz

No, you cannot merge .itl files. You can however import .xml data from one library into another. This captures nearly everything except date added information, as long as the files are where they are referenced in the .xml. Depending on what files are stored where this might create duplicates. I have a tool for cleaning those up while preserving ratings, plays, playlist membership etc. if needed.

Perhaps if you explain a little more about what is stored where I can make some suggestions.

In the meantime take a look at Make a split library portable. I should be able to help you get everything organized into a single portable library which you can then backup and move around safely in future.

tt2

Oct 4, 2015 8:28 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your response tt2. This is the structure I had:

User uploaded file

I figured out that new songs were being added to the library files in the first iTunes Media folder. Also, the most recent "Previous iTunes Libraries" were in the first so-named folder. I managed to import the .xml file into itunes and all the playlists seem to be restored. I've fiddled a bit (I know - groan), and now I have just the first iTunes Media folder and all it's components. The second iTunes Media folder looks like this:

User uploaded file

I think I have a problem with (a) those iOS app .ipa files. And (b) I don't know what to do about the .itdb files and .itl files. The .xml file I'm not so worried about because I think I have that imported now.

Have I passed the point of no return?

Thanks so much.

NickyWil

Oct 6, 2015 4:46 AM in response to NickyWilOz

Cleaning up from too much data is always possible. It is recovering when too much has been irretrievably deleted which presents a challenge.

Ignoring what is on the disk to start with, are you happy that that library contains all of your playlists and files that you think it should, and do they play when you try?

The key parts of the structure that I can see from your screenshots are these:

1. My Music
  2. iTunes
  3. iTunes
  4. iTunes Media
  5. iTunes Music
  6. iTunes Media

where 1,2 & 6 make up the active library (which potentially references some content stored in 4 & 5) while 3,4 & 5 look like legacy content.

Hmm. Fiddling about probably hasn't helped. It looks like you've moved iTunes Music up a layer which might have broken links to any content that was stored in it. Might be best to move that back before doing anything else.

Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced turn Keep organized off. Click OK, then turn it back on again. This should reorganize anything that is inside the designated media folder (My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media) into the correct place. When this is finished you can check the iTunes Music folder for any content that might be missing from your library that you want to add to it. Move this into My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Automatically Add to iTunes if found, then discard what remains of the iTunes Music folder.

Have a look inside My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications. and My Music\Test itunes Is there anything in the second folder which isn't also in the first one? If so you can use the Automatically Add to iTunes folder. Alternatively you can redownload any apps that are missing from your library from your purchase history. You can now discard the Test itunes folder.

Any duplicates in the library? See Re: How to remove duplicate songs.

You might also want to try my script CleanDeadApps if there is any sign of multiple copies of the same app in your Mobile Applications folder.

I also recommend iTunes Folder Watch with its option to check for dead tracks on startup as a way to make sure that everything in your library works, and everything in the media folder is connected to iTunes.

Last, but not least, see Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy to make sure you have an easily updatable backup.

tt2

Oct 6, 2015 5:51 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi tt2,

I can't thank you enough. iTunes is all neat and tidy - everything in 'one' place and working! In fact, there were things that I found and could put into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder that I had either forgotten about or thought were lost! A wonderful outcome. I greatly appreciate the time you took considering my situation and stepping me through the solution.

I am yet to backup iTunes with SyncToy. There are duplicate songs in my library, but would you advise I run SyncToy before DeDuper? As it happens, there is an update notification on my iphone, which I don't want to do until I've run SyncToy! I'll also get onto CleanDeadApps and iTFW.

I did end up with a couple of strange things in iTunes: e.g., when I view the Podcasts menu, there are some songs and apps in there (about a dozen of each). The songs and apps are also in Music and under My Apps where they should be, and they work, so I wonder whether I can delete them from Podcasts? If so, how? There doesn't seem to be an option to delete them. In the case of the songs, if I press delete, the song disappears, but the album artwork stays. I couldn't see the files in any of the Podcasts folders in iTunes Media. Any suggestions?

Once again, many thanks.

Best wishes to you.

NickyWil

Oct 6, 2015 6:18 AM in response to NickyWilOz

You can change the media kind for a song to make it a podcast, or vice versa.

I'm not sure it is possible for an app to end up in the Podcasts view so I don't know have you've managed that. 😮

As for folder art that stays when you delete content, that is probably a side effect of having let Windows Media Player catalogue your media at some point in the past. See another of my scripts CleanDeadArt for that.

If you make the backup before you dedupe then you can always go back if something goes wrong. You'll also get a chance to see what it looks like to preview the updates after a change in the library.

tt2

Is there a way to combine two itunes itl files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.