Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime issues

I Have a Gen4 iPad. Since the iOS 9.0 upgrade, FaceTime recipients get a grainy picture and choppy audio. Similar to a "poor connection". I've reset, reinstalled, and restored all data twice. All hardware checked out using Apple diagnostic software performed by an Apple tech. Suggestions or fixes?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM), iOS 9

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 8:30 PM

8 replies

Oct 3, 2015 8:47 AM in response to jd_wag

I'm having the exact same issues with my grans iPad 4th gen. Since update to iOS 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 she is unable to use FaceTime. When she calls a contact they cannot see her but only hear her. They get a black screen with poor connection message. I have iPad Air 2. Works fine. Tried her iPad 4 on my home network and got same issue. So it's not network related but down to her iPad. We took it to Genius Bar. They got face time to work but quality of video was awful. Choppy with pixelated lines through video. They reset her iPad and sent her home. She's 77. She got home FaceTimed me and same issue I can't see her but only here her. With connection poor on my screen. She can see me in perfect quality. My dad was there with her and used his iPhone 6 to FaceTime from the exact same wifi she was using and it was perfect. No issues at all. So once again not a network error but down to her iPad. Really don't know what to do. Apple genius was useless. She uses FaceTime every day to speak to her family. The main reason she bought the iPad and with 8.4.1 no longer signed we can't downgrade it. I'm gonna take to Apple genius when I get some time off work. as I think they fobbed her off with a lot of nonsense.

Oct 4, 2015 3:09 AM in response to jd_wag

I have the same issue with my Mother in Laws iPad.

Worked fine for 19 months, she did the update but now anyone she face times they only get the sound and not the video.

What I have worked out though is this...

If she uses it at my house it works perfectly

I we use our iPad mini at her house it works

If we use our iPhone at her house it works

Its only when she uses the large iPad that there is a problem.

I am convinced that there is no longer enough bandwidth on her upload connection to make it work, because her iPad works on my connection which is better, our iPad mini works at her house as does the phone. So I think that there has been some software tweak that only applies to the iPad and not the phone or mini

Her upload speed is only .85 Mbps, where as I am on 11 Mbps.

So were now stuck with a device that has worked perfectly for 15 months and now after one upgrade has been rendered useless, as its primary function was to keep in touch with family abroad using Face time. We even bought the relatives abroad an iPad for this feature!

Anyone, out there got any suggestions?????????????

Oct 4, 2015 3:28 AM in response to kevin_cambs_uk

Exact same issues as us Kevin. As a test I used my iPad air 2 and her 4th gen on the same wifi connection and it works but the quality of the video coming from iPad 4th gen is abismal. It's jerky with pixelated lines. The quality of the video coming from my iPad air is flawless. This is on the exact same wifi connection in different rooms. To me something is throttling the upload on the iPad 4th gen as incoming video is fine.

FaceTime issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.