Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Printer laserjet 4250 need drivers for OS 10.11 El Capitan

Have just installed El Capitan 10.11 OS and my HP Laser Jet 4250 printer won't print and mac book pro displays error message "unable to find gutenprint driver named HP Laserjet 4250"..." "Gutenprint" is a 3rd party driver that I haven't a clue why it was looking for it, but it appears HP doesn't have available drivers for this operating system. Printer worked on Yosemite. Suggestion where I can get a driver? The printer is a business size and very robust. Replacing it would be around needless and expensive. I've spoken with Apple Care and they had no suggestion except to look for "3rd Party", which I did and can't find anything. Suggestion?

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 8:26 PM

11 replies

Nov 25, 2017 6:27 PM in response to yunandewi

downloading hp Drivers works great if they have drivers that support your Printer. There are a lot of older hp Printers that a) never had a MacOS Printer (such as PC-only Printers) or b) do not have a current Driver that will run with more up-to-date MacOS.

In that case, look at Open Source Gutenprint drivers for your Printer -- they may have one where hp does not.

Oct 8, 2015 5:30 PM in response to leroydouglas

FINALLY SUCCESSFUL...BUT...

An update:

Contacted HP and they indicated that absolutely they didn't support the printer I have, HP Laserjet 4250. The "technical representative" did however spend 15 minutes trying to convince me to buy a new printer, which they would offer a "good deal" .

#1 My printer functions excellently with drivers. #2 What they were offering was substantially higher than Amazon. #3 The printer they were offering is an older model that they likely will soon stop supporting.

I finally was able to install 3rd party software from Gutenprint site. http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

Then it's a bit tricky as you have to disable in Terminal a safety setting temporarily.

Instructions:

1) (re)start in recovery mode (hold cmd-r while booting or hold option and choose recovery volume)

2) start terminal from menu and disable rootless with command “csrutil disable” . there will be some feedback confirming you disabled this safety feature.

3) reboot normally

4) do not double-click your installer but go in package content (right click > view package content)

5) find inside the package Contents>Packages>Gutenprint 5.pkg and use that package to install (double click it). This time install should go normally.

6) I suppose you would like to enable rootless again since it is a safety feature after all with 1) to 3) using “csrutil enable” this time

This worked and my printer and computer are pals again!!!!!!

Thanks very much for all suggestions!!!!

Nov 4, 2015 12:27 PM in response to benbow77

Refer to the post above.Check out the Gutenprint site. They may have the drivers you need and instructions. All seemed similarly hopeless with my HP, but this sorted out the problem. One thing is certain....neither HP or Apple can help. Also, do not revert back to Yosemite. El Capitan is actually an improvement. Courage!!!!

HP Printer laserjet 4250 need drivers for OS 10.11 El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.