Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Multiple iOS Devices

I have 5 iOS Devices. When I update them all to the latest version, why must I download iOS 5 times?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 10:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 1:03 AM

If they are different types and generation of iOS devices then you will have to download separate iOS versions for each, each type of device (and model) has its own slightly different version of iOS - so the iOS version downloaded for an iPhone 5s can't be installed on an iPhone 6s (nor on an iPod Touch or iPad), they are different builds.

It should be quicker to download the update directly on the device via Settings > General > Software Update, that only downloads the actual update, doing it via a computer's iTunes will download the whole iOS version - but whichever you do it take a backup first, and preferably transfer purchases over to your computer's iTunes library (purchases are not included in the actual backup)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2015 1:03 AM in response to DavidMilnerton

If they are different types and generation of iOS devices then you will have to download separate iOS versions for each, each type of device (and model) has its own slightly different version of iOS - so the iOS version downloaded for an iPhone 5s can't be installed on an iPhone 6s (nor on an iPod Touch or iPad), they are different builds.

It should be quicker to download the update directly on the device via Settings > General > Software Update, that only downloads the actual update, doing it via a computer's iTunes will download the whole iOS version - but whichever you do it take a backup first, and preferably transfer purchases over to your computer's iTunes library (purchases are not included in the actual backup)

Updating Multiple iOS Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.