Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need DHCP but get Double NAT error

I have a ubiquiti modem for Internet access. Although it plugs into my Airport Extreme, it acts as a router for the network. Because my ISP owns the modem, I am not allowed to login to it.

I get a Double NAT error on the Airport Extreme. Running it in Bridge mode fixes that problem, but then I can't make DHCP reservations, which I need to make for various important reasons. (Home Automation, etc.) So I went back to DHCP mode.

So my wireless ISP suggested ignoring the problem and see how things work. So far, I see no issues. Everything worked fine. But then I learned that the kids have not been able to connect to Xbox Live and do co-op stuff outside of the home network. At irregular times, they will get a Strict NAT error on the Xbox.

My ISP also says, "It's not us. We don't have it set to Strict NAT, check your router." So here I am.

Any ideas? Thanks.

iMac

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 10:05 PM

6 replies

Oct 2, 2015 10:29 PM in response to Boerne

Bridge Mode is the correct setting for the AirPort Extreme on your network.

Is it really not possible to set up DHCP Reservations on the modem/router? That is a very basic function of virtually any modem/router or gateway device.

So my wireless ISP suggested ignoring the problem and see how things work

While Double NAT is never recommended, you can sometimes get away with a Double NAT on a simple, basic home network.

But......and this is a big BUT......Apple's Back to My Mac feature will not work through a Double NAT, and online gaming consoles will not tolerate a Double NAT well at all.. Same for port forwarding.

Sometimes, Double NAT will noticeably slow down Internet browsing and in some cases result in a situation where some webites can be accessed while others cannot.

The bottom line.....Double NAT is not predictable......you won't know how it affects your network until you try it out on your network.

You have several options:

1) Run the modem/router "as is" and the AirPort Extreme in the correct Bridge Mode setting, and give up some reservation features

2) Run the modem/router in modem mode only......if that is possible (check with your provider)......and then run the AirPort Extreme in router mode of DHCP and NAT

3) Buy your own simple modem compatible with your provider's service.

4) If your provider will not really provide the service that you need, find a new provider that will provide you with a simple modem......not a modem/router or gateway.

Any ideas?

I doubt that we have provided any that you have not already thought about.

Oct 3, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Boerne

Ah, thanks for the additional info. If we had known more about the details of your setup, we would not have listed some of the options that we did.

There is a little used and somewhat tricky setting on the AirPort called DHCP Only that would likely do what you want. NAT could be left on at the modem in that case.

The big "IF" here is that the modem would need to issue a Static or Reserved IP address for the AirPort and the AirPort would need to be set up to connect using that Static IP address.

I don't know how well this might work but you could try to set up the Airport to connect using a Static IP address without setting up a Reserved or Static on the modem. The AirPort will request the IP address that you specify. Whether the modem honors the request is another question, since the modem may decide on its own what IP will be assigned to the AirPort.

So, if your modem is allocating IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range, you could try setting up the AirPort to connect using a Static IP address of 192.168.1.50 or 192.168.1.100 and then tell the AirPort to use 192.168.1.51 through 192.168.1.100......or 192.168.1.101 through 192.168.1.150.....something like that.

If you have not already tried that, and have the time, you never know.

Oct 3, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Bob Timmons

DHCP Only seems like the right answer to me, too. But I get this:

Invalid value

Sharing a range of IP addresses using DHCP Only requires manually configuring your WAN IP address. If your ISP gives you a range of static IP addresses, you should manually configure your base station with the first IP address and distribute the rest via DHCP.

When I try and update. It then takes me to the Internet tab when I click Review settings. I changed it to Static and left the IPv4 address as is. Since I'm posting this after the update, I'm assuming it is working. I do not get a Double NAT. I appear to have my DHCP reservations as well.

Connect using: Static < Is this correct. I am unfamiliar with PPPoE.

Thank you!

edited because I stumbled upon the Static option which allowed me to update.

Oct 3, 2015 3:56 PM in response to Boerne

Click the Network tab at the top of the AirPort Utility screen.

Click Network Options near the bottom of the window

Change the DHCP range to read 10.0.5.101 to 10.0.5.150......the display will read 10.0.5.101 to 150

Click Save

Then click the Internet tab and set up a Static IP to connect at 10.0.5.100

Click Update

If it works, the modem will send an IP of 10.0.5.100 to the AirPort. The AirPort will issue IP addresses to connected devices using 10.0.5.101 to 150. You could specify up to 200 if you need the AirPort to issue more than 50 IP addresses.

The modem will issue normal IP addresses to other devices connected directly to the modem at 10.0.5.2 through 10.0.5.99.

Need DHCP but get Double NAT error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.