Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this iPhotos also for Photos ?

If so, I would like to know what is transferred from Aperture to Photos from a RAW photo?

Is it the raw file or a jpeg version?

Greg

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 12:24 AM

5 replies

Oct 3, 2015 12:31 AM in response to greg1424

YOUr question is not very clear, but I'll have a god.

iPhoto is no longer developed. A new app, Photos, has been released. It is similar is many respects but has a whole extra feature called the iCloud Library.

Nothing is transferred "from a raw photo". Your raw and versions are migrated to the Photos library. But be aware that Photos is not a replacement for Aperture.

Oct 3, 2015 12:41 AM in response to Yer_Man

Sorry, I was asking, not very well, if this forum discussion was the right place for the new Photos, as it says iPhoto.

if not, where can I find the forum for "Photos".

Thanks for the RAW info.

I have purchased Capture one pro 8 to replace Aperture.
There are more features BUT the learning curve is tough and there are several different labels for the adjustments.

As to the iCloud, I tried that but it said that there was not enough space for my photo library.I have 2 B/U's so I am not concerned unless it effects the RAW storage and transfer.

Thanks

Greg

Oct 3, 2015 12:57 AM in response to greg1424

Greg, the forum for the new Photos.app is here: Photos for Mac

It is grouped below Mac OS & System Software, because it is not a stand-alone aplication, but directly installed as part of MacOS X Yosemite or El Capitan.

See this support document on how Photos will transfer content from an Aperture library: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

If you open an Aperture library in Photos, the Photos.app will create a new library and store the RAW images as original image files, just like Aperture does. Referenced originals will remain referenced, managed originals will remain managed. Alle dits will be applied losslesjust like in Aperture, so you can always revert the the original RAW file. If you used brushed adjustments or other adjustments, that cannot be reproduced in Photos, edited versions will be migrated as a new quasi-master in addition to the original file.

Oct 3, 2015 8:30 AM in response to greg1424

, does that mean that any and all adjustments made in Aperture that are not available in Photos will be removed ?

You will see two photos in Photos: One photo with all adjustments applied by Aperture, and the original image file. If you want to edit the Aperture edited version further in Photos, you have first to revert it to original, because Photos cannot add to brushed Aperture adjustments.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.