Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Battery

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro 13"

I was just wondering when i should change my battery... It seems to be less than before... Other than that, the mac is working completely fine...

Here is what my mac is, incase you need to know:

Here is the battery information:

User uploaded file

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information>

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 12:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 12:34 AM

Hi rish1420,
I understand that you are concerned about your batteries health as it is not lasting as long as it once was. Let's see if I can help you determine if your battery needs to be replaced.
To understand your battery's health, you will need to know what it can handle. For starters, your MacBook Pro can handle about 1,000 cycle counts. That is the number of time your battery has a made a 100% charge. With that said, it does need to be a full 0-100% charge. It will know based on usage how many times you have fully charged because of lithium-ion.
Now within that 1,000 times it change be charged, it can hold at least 80% of its original capacity. That means over time, your ability to hold a charge will go down and not be expected to go below that 80%
So now to the part about what to do. I have quoted a section for the article below that will give you some troubleshooting to do. With the image you have up, I can see that the Health of the battery is about 80% and sitting at 83%. As far as the cycle counts are concerned, you are sitting at 617 times it has fully charged. If it continues, you will want to run Apple Hardware Test to see if the battery is dropping below 80%. Also look at the second part to see if any applications or process might be causing an issue with the battery draining faster than it should.
About Mac notebook batteries
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204054

Troubleshooting batteries

A great place to start when troubleshooting battery issues is the built-in diagnostics that are available on your Mac notebook. Review the following articles for more information on using diagnostics.

Note: The additional troubleshooting recommended below assumes you have run the above diagnostic appropriate for your computer and that no issues were found.

My battery runtime is low

1. Identify what the battery life should be for the product you are troubleshooting.

The Tech Specs site provides Apple's battery life expectations for battery usage. The specifics for wireless web usage and standby time are included in the Tech Specs article for each product.

2. There are several common causes battery drain that you can minimize.

• Take steps to optimize your battery life per the Optimizing Battery Life section earlier in this article.
    • A common cause of decreased battery life is a "runaway process." Make sure to check Activity Monitor for any runaway processes, especially after installing software updates or a new operating system. Installing updates is important to ensure optimal performance for all applications.
    • If you are still having battery runtime issues after optimizing your computer's performance and checking for runaway processes, test in Safe Mode. Safe Mode limits the active items on the system and allows testing in a more minimal environment. If the battery life is better in Safe Mode, you may need to do further software isolation for the items disabled by Safe Mode to determine what the power draw is while not operating in Safe Mode.

Have a good day

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 12:34 AM in response to rish1420

Hi rish1420,
I understand that you are concerned about your batteries health as it is not lasting as long as it once was. Let's see if I can help you determine if your battery needs to be replaced.
To understand your battery's health, you will need to know what it can handle. For starters, your MacBook Pro can handle about 1,000 cycle counts. That is the number of time your battery has a made a 100% charge. With that said, it does need to be a full 0-100% charge. It will know based on usage how many times you have fully charged because of lithium-ion.
Now within that 1,000 times it change be charged, it can hold at least 80% of its original capacity. That means over time, your ability to hold a charge will go down and not be expected to go below that 80%
So now to the part about what to do. I have quoted a section for the article below that will give you some troubleshooting to do. With the image you have up, I can see that the Health of the battery is about 80% and sitting at 83%. As far as the cycle counts are concerned, you are sitting at 617 times it has fully charged. If it continues, you will want to run Apple Hardware Test to see if the battery is dropping below 80%. Also look at the second part to see if any applications or process might be causing an issue with the battery draining faster than it should.
About Mac notebook batteries
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204054

Troubleshooting batteries

A great place to start when troubleshooting battery issues is the built-in diagnostics that are available on your Mac notebook. Review the following articles for more information on using diagnostics.

Note: The additional troubleshooting recommended below assumes you have run the above diagnostic appropriate for your computer and that no issues were found.

My battery runtime is low

1. Identify what the battery life should be for the product you are troubleshooting.

The Tech Specs site provides Apple's battery life expectations for battery usage. The specifics for wireless web usage and standby time are included in the Tech Specs article for each product.

2. There are several common causes battery drain that you can minimize.

• Take steps to optimize your battery life per the Optimizing Battery Life section earlier in this article.
    • A common cause of decreased battery life is a "runaway process." Make sure to check Activity Monitor for any runaway processes, especially after installing software updates or a new operating system. Installing updates is important to ensure optimal performance for all applications.
    • If you are still having battery runtime issues after optimizing your computer's performance and checking for runaway processes, test in Safe Mode. Safe Mode limits the active items on the system and allows testing in a more minimal environment. If the battery life is better in Safe Mode, you may need to do further software isolation for the items disabled by Safe Mode to determine what the power draw is while not operating in Safe Mode.

Have a good day

MacBook Pro Battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.