Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost all my mail boxes after installing el capitan, how do I recover them? Time capsule does not help

Does anyone know how to recover the mailboxes which disappeared after I installed El Capitan. They were all in the "on my mac" section. I have tried time capsule and have also tried to import the mail boxes from the computer (but can't seem to find the correct path to the files when using this tool). I don't want to spend hours trolling through the computer to find all the emails and filling them somewhere else.

iMac, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 11:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 12:51 AM

Hi

I had this problem too. If you hover your mouse over 'on my mac' you will get a + symbol and the either the word "hide" or "show". If you click on show you boxes may display again. I did this initially and nothing happened. I then, with mail open, clicked on "mailbox" on the menu bar and then clicked on "rebuild". I got my lost inbox mail back after a while but not mail boxes. About 24 hours alter I was speaking to a senior advisor at Apple Care. He couldn't identify a fix but once again I hovered over "on my mac" and clicked on "show" and the mailboxes all came back with the content. They are in a different order to what they were but are all there plus "com.apple.Mail.Backup" and a sub box "recovered messages". The Advisor said that the only explanation he could think of is that the rebuild I had done 24 hours was continuing to work in the background and took that long to do the fix. Good luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 12:51 AM in response to kevinafromqld

Hi

I had this problem too. If you hover your mouse over 'on my mac' you will get a + symbol and the either the word "hide" or "show". If you click on show you boxes may display again. I did this initially and nothing happened. I then, with mail open, clicked on "mailbox" on the menu bar and then clicked on "rebuild". I got my lost inbox mail back after a while but not mail boxes. About 24 hours alter I was speaking to a senior advisor at Apple Care. He couldn't identify a fix but once again I hovered over "on my mac" and clicked on "show" and the mailboxes all came back with the content. They are in a different order to what they were but are all there plus "com.apple.Mail.Backup" and a sub box "recovered messages". The Advisor said that the only explanation he could think of is that the rebuild I had done 24 hours was continuing to work in the background and took that long to do the fix. Good luck.

I lost all my mail boxes after installing el capitan, how do I recover them? Time capsule does not help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.