Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 camera frozen since iOS 9 update

since doing the recent iOS 9 update my back camera wont load. You click on the icon and all I get is a black screen with the icons around the edge. I click to switch to front facing camera which takes a while but works but then when switching back it freezes again.

I can't do a reboot of my phone as its on assessed touch as the top on/off botton no longer works

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 8:48 AM

I have the same issue. The camera is black when I open the app when I switch to the front camera it displays correctly but when I switch back to the rear camera all I can see is a blurred image of what was on the front camera. Rebooting doesn't rectify this issue for me either. I also get a yellow warning triangle occasionally where the flash icon usually is and when I click it I get a message saying "Flash is disabled The iPhone needs to cool down before you can use the flash" The phone is not warm at all so this is a software bug. Please can this be looked at and repaired in a software update ASAP?

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 8:48 AM in response to Jo80H

I have the same issue. The camera is black when I open the app when I switch to the front camera it displays correctly but when I switch back to the rear camera all I can see is a blurred image of what was on the front camera. Rebooting doesn't rectify this issue for me either. I also get a yellow warning triangle occasionally where the flash icon usually is and when I click it I get a message saying "Flash is disabled The iPhone needs to cool down before you can use the flash" The phone is not warm at all so this is a software bug. Please can this be looked at and repaired in a software update ASAP?

Oct 5, 2015 2:20 AM in response to Chappers75

I've had the exact same issue sine upgrading my iphone5 from 9.0.1 to 9.0.2. I've tried rebooting, DFU-mode + restore from backup / as new phone, downgrading to 9.0.1 + restore from backup / as new phone. So far, nothing I've tried has helped.

I've read quite a few reports from ppl with the same problem so I'm convinced it's not hardware related. Since the phone is way out of warranty, I'll just have to hope this will be fixed in a upcoming patch.

Oct 6, 2015 12:56 PM in response to Jo80H

I have an iPhone 5 and it didnt freeze up but what you can do it put it in recovery mode. Connect your iPhone to itunes through a computer with itunes on it then hold power and home button at the same time until a recovery message appears then a popup notification should appear on you computer and then you can recover your iPhone back to ios 8.4.1 and wait until the next update comes along ios 9.0.1 or 9.0.2 or 9.0.3 and on 😀

Oct 13, 2015 10:33 PM in response to Jo80H

I have an iPhone 5s and when I open the rear camera it's not working

I tried to restart the app and open it again the problem still exists

i restored my iPhone and update it to iOS 9 nothing changed but there is a msg shown up " flash is disabled" : the iPhone needs to cool down before you can use the flash.

it have been 5 months without the rear camera and in my country it will cost me about 350$ to fix it I don't know what to do.

Nov 27, 2015 8:23 PM in response to Jo80H

I Declare shenanigans on Apple. I've had no problems with the camera until the iOS 9 update! I've heard in other blogs it's a hardware issue and phone specific this is obviously UNTRUE! I would like all on here that are having this same issue to try something. When I reset my phone and use the flashlight from the slide up screen my flashlight works fine but then after using my camera the flashlight stops working. When I repeat the process I get the same results. See if this happens to you as well and post you findings please. I've also heard about the overheating issue. I've cooled my phone down to an external temperature of 58° before it would finally work again. This is ridiculous since room temperature is 75°! It is very unrealistic that we should have to cool our cameras now when there was no problems for so long prior to this. It is also unacceptable and if Apple claims a hardware issue they should recall and do free repairs or replacement! If it's a software issue get us an update immediately and quit Guinea pigging your valued customer. Get it together Apple, most us are continued customers and deserve better!

iPhone 5 camera frozen since iOS 9 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.