Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after upgrading to os X10.10 quicktime plugin is unavailable

Having upgraded to El Capitan the quicktime plugin is unavailable in safari or firefox, seems crazy to have to downgrade because of a lack of this plugin, can 't apple check their own software actually works together?

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 1:41 AM

20 replies

Oct 5, 2015 7:46 PM in response to chrisarmes23

There are few things more depressing than watching other people rejoice over a fix when it's still not working for you. Moving the Quicktime plug-in out of the disabled folder does enable Quicktime audio for me, but video on the sites I have been trying to use does not work — the area where the image should be is simply white. Downloading the video file and opening it in the Quicktime player (I have old Quicktime 7 as well as the newer player) works fine, but I cannot watch it embedded in a website, which is important to me as I use some of these sites in teaching.

Just to make sure it's not a property of the specific sites I am looking at, could one of those who the fix has helped have a look at http://psyc-experiments.com/mmtbn/language/sPerception/McGurk1.html about the so-called McGurk Effect (it's a cool phenomenon, as you will see, iif the video works). Does the video there work for you?

Oct 5, 2015 8:10 PM in response to dpdpdp

You should contact the webmaster of the website and request that they change to modern HTML5 techniques for displaying video in the browser. Or, they should at least provide a direct download link to the .mov file so you can download it and play it locally. Looking at the source code of that web page give me a flashback to the horrible HTML produced by Dreamweaver in the late 1990s.

The reason that Apple, and Google, and Firefox have disabled the QuickTime plugin is for your security. Google has a dedicated support page describing the reason:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6213033

Oct 6, 2015 5:46 AM in response to FishingAddict

The question I am interested in is whether the video is visible in line to other people who've done the fix mentioned above. Is it?

The web is full of non-commercial sites — the ones that concern me are mostly academic — that do not necessarily have skilled webmasters in charge of them, so they're unlikely to be updatable to HTML5 or whatever, but are important to some of us.

I am happy if Apple wants its browser to put up a warning before loading such sites. I am not happy for Apple or Google to decide on my behalf that I should be unable to view them because they think it's a security risk for my computer.

Oct 6, 2015 7:57 AM in response to dpdpdp

Just to make sure it's not a property of the specific sites I am looking at, could one of those who the fix has helped have a look at http://psyc-experiments.com/mmtbn/language/sPerception/McGurk1.html about the so-called McGurk Effect (it's a cool phenomenon, as you will see, iif the video works). Does the video there work for you?

I had the same "white screen" problem you mentioned and was not able to view the content directly on the web page. I'm not a web page programmer but I think you hit the trifecta with this web site:

1. In the first place, it appears the page is programmed to specifically target the QT plugin.
  2. The QT plugin no longer appears to be "fully" functional under El Capitan when re-enabled—which is probably why it was disabled in the first place. (E.g., at least some "legacy" compression formats are no longer supported by the Safari-plugin software combination and I was able to consistently "lock up" the software in certain instances.)
  3. The content itself is encoded in the Cinepak video compression format which was first introduced in 1991 and adopted by Apple for QT use in 1992. Originally designed for QVGA VCD use, Apple turned off "active" use of this codec with the introduction of Lion. While such content remains playable in most "legacy" compatible media players like QT 7 and VLC, I suspect Safari has been/is being reprogrammed to target the use the QT X structures embedded in El Capitan exclusively in preparation for the eventual elimination of classic QT 7 routines.

So, yes, you could say the problem is "a property of the specific web site" in that the web site has not been updated to handle more modern methods of coding web pages to accommodate the manner in which multiple web browsers now handle content using generic code (i.e., code that does not have to target each individual browser/plugin) that matches each browser's ability to handle a specific form of content instead. For instance, all modern browsers would use the same HTML5 code to handle MP4 content. By converting the CinePak/PCM MOV file to an H.264/AAC MP4 file and programming the site to use HTML5 code, the web content would then be playable in all HTML5 capable browsers and the media file—at the same dimensions and level of quality—would be about one quarter its original size and cache to the browser four times as fast.

User uploaded file

Oct 6, 2015 9:47 AM in response to dpdpdp

The web is full of non-commercial sites — the ones that concern me are mostly academic — that do not necessarily have skilled webmasters in charge of them, so they're unlikely to be updatable to HTML5 or whatever, but are important to some of us.

While transcoding old "legacy" content might be a pain, all web sites would be equally easy to update. In fact, the HTML5 code for the web page you cited would probably take up less space, be simpler to understand, and support all of the latest versions of the most popular browsers (e.g., Safari, I.E., Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc.) without any additional coding.

I am happy if Apple wants its browser to put up a warning before loading such sites. I am not happy for Apple or Google to decide on my behalf that I should be unable to view them because they think it's a security risk for my computer.

Media compression formats, along with web browsers and media players that display such content, are in a constant state of evolution. If the web site that carries the content you wish to watch elects not to evolve in a similar manner and/or be unsupported by the five most commonly used browsers, then it should also share the "blame." IMHO, it would be paranoid to think all of the browser manufacturers are deliberately crippling their products just to prevent a selected number of web sites from displaying their content. Isn't it more rational to think that these web sites are simply a bit late or no longer interested in keeping their pages up to date.

BTW, you do realize that this site represents an online multimedia resource originally created in 2003, none of the web site files have been updated (i.e., re-saved to the server) since 2013, and the server for the Rice University resources was non-responsive to the original URL when I attempted to use it. In short, it appears the original web site may have been reconstituted on a different server under the auspices or financial support of the National Science Foundation's Division of Undergraduate Education which may or may not be ensuring any "proper" continuity of the site and its content—i.e., the site is still programmed to handle connection by Modem (video or sound only options) and does not appear to have ever been "modernized" once it was up and running. The site seems like an "orphan" for whom no one wishes to claim responsibility.

User uploaded file

Oct 6, 2015 8:22 PM in response to dpdpdp

I certainly understand the issue and effort that it takes to migrate old content to new standards. I have personally done quite a bit of that over my carreer. However, in most cases doing so can be accomplished on a site-wide scale using scripted conversion and processing. Therefore it's important to tell the web developers that are responsible for the site about the problem you are experiencing so that they can at leas begin planning for a modernization effort.

There is one solution that you should be aware of that you can do yourself. It's to simply download the .mov file from these pages to you local computer and then play them with either QuickTime Player or another player like VLC. To do so in Safari, you first need to enable the Developer menu. In Safari, choose "Safari" menu > "Preferences" > "Advanced" > and enable the "Show Develop menu in menu bar" option. Then, return to the page where the video is, right click an empty area of the page and choose "Show Page Source". Scroll down and look for the HTML that looks like:

<param name="src" value="McGurk1.mov">

The "value" part is the movie file name. So, change the URL in your browser from "http://psyc-experiments.com/mmtbn/language/sPerception/McGurk1.html" to "http://psyc-experiments.com/mmtbn/language/sPerception/McGurk.mov" (note "McGurk.mov" at the end vs. "McGurk1.html". When you load that URL in a browser it will immediately download the actual movie. You can then play it locally.

Lastly, when Apple, Google, and Mozilla, and every knowledgable security expert on the planet agree that plugins are a festering soar of browser security, I am happy that Apple has made the decision to protect users by removing the technology. Otherwise, history has proven again and again that website operators will continue to use insecure technologies for years after they should have been abandoned. Just look at Flash and Java in the browser. Steve Jobs had the guts to take on the entire industry years ago by not including these technologies in iOS and removing Java from Mac OS. As a result of this dicision Apple devices have remained secure even while drive-by infections in Windows and Android browsers are rampant. Luckily, Google and Mozilla have now followed suit and removed a plugin technology that should have been abandoned long ago.

Oct 7, 2015 10:37 AM in response to dpdpdp

Am thinking a more concrete example might be in order here. Went to the web page you cited and copied the source code to the TextEdit app. Located the following QT plugin specific code:

<object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" align="absmiddle" width="315" height="275"

codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab">

<param name="src" value="McGurk1.mov">

<param name="autoplay" value="false">

<param name="controller" value="true">

<embed src="McGurk1.mov" width="315" height="275" autoplay="false" controller="true"

pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" align="absmiddle">

</embed>

</object>

And replaced it with the following HTML5 code:

<video width="200" height="220" controls>

<source src="McGurk1.mp4" type="video/mp4">

Your browser does not support the video tag.

</video>

I then converted the original CinePak/PCM MOV file to an H.264/AAC MP4 file and posted it and the modified page code to my server and tested the results. Safari is my primary browser but I also have Firefox and Google browser software installed on my system for test purposes. The modified page now works correctly in all three—except for the "Close" button. The java button generates an undisplayed error because it tells the window to close but my cloned web page was not opened by java in the first place. In any case, this was a blessing in disguise since I did not then have to deactivate or remove the button code. If interested in checking the cloned web page in the browser(s) on your system here is the link:McGurk Effect

after upgrading to os X10.10 quicktime plugin is unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.