Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacbookPro Late 2009 wont restart after El Capitan Updgrade

After upgrading to El Capitan, I tried restart it, and it got stuck at apple logo without any progress on progress indicator.

I cannot enter safemode either. I hear the startup tone and then another brief sound, which I think is a sound from hard disk, after that hard disk sleeps or something like that. I entered the recovery mode to check the hard disk, it is working fine.

In brief, I think hard disk stops responding after the appearance boot up progress indicator.

Help is highly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 3:08 AM

15 replies

Oct 3, 2015 11:49 AM in response to jawadfromleicester

it got stuck at apple logo without any progress on progress indicator.

When the progress bar comes very early in the boot-up process, that indicates your drive is so damaged it can not be mounted.

The progress bar typically progresses to about the 1/3 point while it does a Disk Utility (Repair Disk [directory]). If you see no progress from the zero point to the 1/3 point, it may indicate your drive has stopped responding.

If you do not have a Trusted Backup, that should be your Top Priority. Your Hard Drive may be near death.

--------

Progress beyond the 1/3 point is Mac OS X Actual Startup (after Kernel Startup). Problems there are caused by different things.

Oct 3, 2015 12:34 PM in response to jawadfromleicester

So if the drive shows in Terminal under /Volumes, it has indeed been mounted.

Information in the system log can definitely help show where it got stuck. Look for the BOOT TIME entry from around that time. That is the start of a new Boot-up attempt.

You are welcome to post the TEXT (not a screenshot or photograph, if possible) of your log here. Please do not just dump thousands of lines in, select the group of line you think are pertinent based on their content and their timestamp.

Oct 3, 2015 2:35 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sure. I will paste three posts to make things clearer. The problem was with extension libraries.

Post 1:

==========================================================

Hi Stol,

What you've posted gives me a partial picture of the kext situation, but so I can get the whole picture, please follow these steps:

1. Boot into Recovery Mode (cmd+R)
  2. Select the Get Help Online link from the meunbar to open Safari.
  3. Navigate back to this thread.
  4. Select all of the writing in bold below and press cmd+C to copy it to the clipboard:

cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD" ; ls -1 Library/Extensions/ ; find Library/Application\ Support -iname *.kext ; find System/Library/Extensions -ctime +1w -depth 2

5. Then go to the Utilities menu, open Terminal and press cmd+V to paste the long command into it.
  6. Select all the output from that and press cmd+C to copy it to the clipboard.
  7. Select the Get Help Online link from the meunbar to open the Safari again.
  8. Navigate back to this thread.
  9. Paste the output you copied into your reply to this post.

-Max

===================================================

Post 2: Stol's Response

===================================================

(in response to Max108)

thank you for your answer, here is the output:

-bash-3.2# cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD" ; ls -1 Library/Extensions/ ; find Library/Application\ Support -iname *.kext ; find System/Library/Extensions -ctime +1w -depth 2

ACS6x.kext

ATTOCelerityFC8.kext

ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext

ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext

ArcMSR.kext

CalDigitHDProDrv.kext

HighPointIOP.kext

HighPointRR.kext

LittleSnitch.kext

PromiseSTEX.kext

SoftRAID.kext

tap.kext

tun.kext

System/Library/Extensions/3Dconnexion.kext/Contents

System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext/Contents

System/Library/Extensions/EyeTVAfaTechHidBlock.kext/Contents

System/Library/Extensions/EyeTVCinergy450AudioBlock.kext/Contents

System/Library/Extensions/EyeTVCinergyXSAudioBlock.kext/Contents

System/Library/Extensions/EyeTVEmpiaAudioBlock.kext/Contents

System/Library/Extensions/EyeTVVoyagerAudioBlock.kext/Contents

System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext/Contents

System/Library/Extensions/NikeSportWatch.kext/Contents

-bash-3.2#

=================================================================

Post 3: Max's response

=================================================================

The following block of commands will move the 3rd party kexts of those listed to a new folder in each Library called "Unsupported" - a safe location where they can't cause harm, but can be reinstated if needed. When the command has completed, you can reboot your Mac (normally this time). Let me know how it goes...

cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions/" ; mkdir Unsupported ; mv t* Unsupported ; mv L* Unsupported ; cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions/" ; mkdir Unsupported ; mv 3D* Unsupported ; mv Eye* Unsupported ; mv Nik* Unsupported ; rm -Rf /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/folders/*

===================================================================

MacbookPro Late 2009 wont restart after El Capitan Updgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.