Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Apple be updating iTunes for OSX 10.6.8?

iTunes 11.4 - the "latest" version available to run on Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.8 - will offer an update for an iOS device to upgrade it to iOS9. It doesn't say, should you upgrade the device, you will never be able to communicate with it again via iTunes 11.4. They are incompatible. There are quite a few posts about it.

Now Apple's online manual for iOS9, very recently published, clearly states that you only need "OS X version 10.6.8 or later" which is wrong:

https://help.apple.com/iphone/9/#/iph3bf4317b

I, like many others, have specific reasons for sticking with Snow Leopard - ProTools, Macromedia's Dreamweaver and Fireworks and other PPC stuff all need Rosetta. So it seems I have two options. Either I flog the iOS device and buy an Android one which I can communicate with, or I buy a cheap Windows machine to run iTunes. Neither option is satisfactory.

So I would like an Apple person to reply to this post stating whether Apple intends to make a newer, compatible version of iTunes available for Snow Leopard. And if so how soon. I don't think it's acceptable to remove all communication between two Apple devices without warning and without a suitable solution available such as a roll back to iOS8.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 5:04 AM

27 replies

Oct 3, 2015 8:00 AM in response to ancient person

Sooner or later you will have to consider more modern apps since

computers that will even support 10.6.8 are slowly finding their way

to electronics recyclers and new computers can't run 10.6.8. Also,

at some point Apple will no longer even support 10.6.8 for security updates

(if they haven't already).

If you aren't looking ahead, your basically working on borrowed time.

It's a hard pill to swallow but is a fact of life in the electronic age.

Also, good luck getting any Android device to sync reliably on a Mac or

PC for that matter.

Oct 3, 2015 10:37 AM in response to woodmeister50

You are quite right of course - but it's morally and ethically wrong.

I bought my washing machine in 1985 and, with a couple of mends along the way, is still working well and washing clothes as it should do. That means I haven't thrown away a washing machine since 1984. That's 31 years.

I bought my Macbook in 2010 and it is still working well - as it always has. So if it gets consigned to the tip after five years it isn't my fault, or the Macbook's fault - it's Apple's. They are forcing obsolescence.

It means they are expending the planet's resources unnecessarily. They are causing pointless waste with a total disregard for those that will inhabit the planet long after Apple Inc has ceased to exist.

As I said at the start - morally and ethically wrong. Rant over.

Oct 3, 2015 12:18 PM in response to ancient person

The basic functionality of a washing machine hasn't changed in 30+ years. Get clothes clean. I know where you are coming from but one could also argue your old machine wastes more water than advanced machines.

So is your gripe really with Apple that they are advancing their software, or is it with ProTools, Dreamweaver, Fireworks that they have not updated their software the way just about every other developer has?

Yes, Apple stops support after 5 years and if you want to have Apple's newest toys and software then you have to play the game their way, but that is because you choose to do so. I have never owned a computer any younger than about 6 years. I know your take on this but I have also come to accept that things are the way they are. I work with it in my own way such as simply not owning a smartphone, or an iPod, and leaving my computer and software locked into 2007 software with the exception of my browser for which there is a small but staunch group of supporters porting Firefox to PPC platform. Nothing ages faster these days than technology. Where's your Walkman, your 8track player, your film camera? Only now am I in the process of upgrading my computer system (the first time in 9 years) and I am upgrading to an obsolete 2008 model. By the way, it will be running Mavericks but I will also be able to run 10.6.8 inside Mavericks and run my PPC software. For that matter the are are even ways to run OS9 vintage software.

Remember, by the way, Apple is a for-profit corporation. I don't know the numbers but it is likely more profitable to assign engineers to designing new things for which people pay than to continue support for old things. So you annoy a handful of people who run old things into the ground and then only buy more used things. No money in that. Design new things which generate true revenue in new device purchases and increased iTunes Store income.

Oct 3, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Limnos

Well - I will claim the moral high ground now!!! I live off grid, halfway up a mountain. I generate all my own electricity with a hydro system with a bit of added solar. My water comes from my stream and is returned to it (after purification through a reed bed). So my washing machine can be as inefficient as it wants! My top up heating comes from wood burners so my house is genuinely carbon zero - unlike the "carbon neutral" rubbish bandied about by governments. I have a phone/broadband line and that's it.

But - I totally agree with you on old computers. I have a 2006 HP NC6320 Laptop with a quadruple boot - Linux Mint, Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10. I also have an alternate hard drive for it (no partitions left on the other) to turn it into a Hackintosh - Snow Leopard of course! A wonderful laptop because it has every port going.

And - despite my post - I also have dual boot on my A1342 polycarbonate Macbook for Snow Leopard and Mavericks (I don't get on with Yosemite).

So in reality I can connect an iPhone 6 (not bought - broken and passed on by a nephew) to almost everything except the Hackintosh and the Macbook running SL.

But that's still not my point. Concocted obsolescence (so a company can make more money for its shareholders) is what is wrong with the planet. Or ..... one of the many things wrong with the planet.

So - like your profile - I don't have a lot to do. I'm retired. But I believe ranting about unnecessary waste is a productive occupation - should someone actually listen!

Oct 3, 2015 1:26 PM in response to ancient person

Don't throw away your washing machine...! 😉

Most of the new ones use circuit boards, have

no transmissions, and use an electric motor that

runs backward & forward, and do not save power

but usually suggest they will save water. These

generally are not fiscally valued as repairable in

the exception of logic boards which cost as much

as a completely new washer at year end discount.

Some had suggested an ability to run Snow Leopard

10.6.8 Server edition in a virtual machine, within a

newer version of OS X. This may or may not be an

idea or possible going forward. My most recent OS X

was acquired as part of a hardware upgrade to newer

(clearance on Apple Store online) Mini, included 10.9.

So I'm looking to consider partitions of both internal

hard disk drives (2 1-TB) into four 500GB sections so

the as-shipped Mavericks can remain in one, the

recently passed-by Yosemite could be installed in yet

another, then El Capitan could reside in yet a third.

This, in a partial attempt to see if I want to use iPhoto

if the last hidden update for Yosemite will still work to

migrate the original purchased Apps from Mav to Yos.

Your ability to use and prefer Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is

now a matter of hardware; you need to keep the older

hardware on-hand too, if you choose to use older wi-fi

AirPort Utility and control the settings from your Mac.

So far I've not changed my AirPort base stations by

use of Mavericks 10.9.5 version airport utility... because

I want/need to have my older iBook G4, Mini G4, first

ed. MacBook 1.83 coreduo, & some iMac G4s work.

Planned obsolescence requires more planning to adjust.

Plan your work-arounds carefully as newer technologies

find inroads into commonplace products, to subvert them

to being disposable or extinct before their reasonable time.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Oct 3, 2015 9:19 PM in response to ancient person

You can argue planned obsolescence but I still think it is more capitalist business economics. At some stage it is more economical to risk annoying the handful of people still using old equipment and who probably are not really spending much money with Apple directly since they are keeping equipment forever, and instead pay your programmer to write code that will convince people to go out and buy the new hardware which will support the newest ultra high resolution video, or present their browser to them 5 seconds faster. Witness the long lines whenever Apple brings out a new gadget and the large numbers of people seem pretty content to budget $500+ a year in hardware.

Compare this to old cars. How many 20 year old cars do you see on the streets? Dealers don't have to stock parts for cars older than 20 years, but honestly, most cars don't make it that far. Most people also simply don't like driving cars that old, and most can afford new ones. A few people like me with my 34 year old car manage to make it that far, but the last time I looked I found 2 other cars identical to mine in the for sale section of Craigslist for the entire USA. It simply is not worth any dealer's, or even many parts stores, costs to stock items, and nobody makes the model specific ones anymore. I ask the people I know and pretty much nobody has a computer more than about 7 years old.

All that said, iTunes actually extends well beyond normal Apple support periods. It was only a few days ago that Apple stopped writing iTunes for computers made in year 2006. My computer made in 2002 didn't lose iTunes support until late 2012.

Oct 3, 2015 9:16 PM in response to ancient person

ancient person wrote:

You are quite right of course - but it's morally and ethically wrong.

I bought my washing machine in 1985 and, with a couple of mends along the way, is still working well and washing clothes as it should do. That means I haven't thrown away a washing machine since 1984. That's 31 years.

I bought my Macbook in 2010 and it is still working well - as it always has. So if it gets consigned to the tip after five years it isn't my fault, or the Macbook's fault - it's Apple's. They are forcing obsolescence.

It means they are expending the planet's resources unnecessarily. They are causing pointless waste with a total disregard for those that will inhabit the planet long after Apple Inc has ceased to exist.

As I said at the start - morally and ethically wrong. Rant over.

Can you get analogue stations on any TV set?

Pete

Oct 3, 2015 9:49 PM in response to ancient person

I'm with you, Ancient Person.

One of the bragging points between apple vs android is the quality that apple bring to the table. There is no doubt they build a much more reliable, quality, longer lasting product (I can only direct that to the phones and laptops, I don't own any other apple products), which is why I believe they should support them a little longer than other brands too.

Doing this would be seen as a sort of loyalty program for customers, and once the item really has been left behind and only a small percentage remain using it, offer a trade in on the old item for the new as an incentive for them to stick with Apple.

Like you, I'm not about to go and spend $1250, plus a care package on a laptop whose sole purpose will be to sync with an iphone. They're pushing me away now, and I'll just go buy a $300 laptop running windows and install itunes on it. I'd prefer to stick with Mac, but the bank account doesn't agree.

Having said all that, if Apple would just allow the rollback to happen again, all this could be solved...

Oct 4, 2015 3:48 AM in response to petermac87

Not quite sure what your point is in posting that link but if you look at the View all comments at the bottom there is one from "Edward Snowden" saying

iphone batteries mysteriously start dying at the 18month point and eventually you get so sick of it you buy a new device.

Wonder is it the Edward Snowden and the NSA is targeting his batteries?

Will Apple be updating iTunes for OSX 10.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.