Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete photos in photos on El Capitan

Hi Everyone,

I was just trying to figure out how to permanently delete photo's in El Capitan on my Macbook Pro

Before I could go to File >> Show Recently Deleted

And then delete the photo's I just deleted.

Now I go there and the options is not there.

Does anyone know how to permanently delete photos?

Thank you

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 3:50 AM

I figured it out.

Now you have to go to Albums and click on the left arrow to go to the top level/Root of the albums. Once you are there scroll through the albums and you will see "Recently Deleted". Go there and delete the Photo's/Videos

Thank everyone

19 replies

Dec 11, 2015 3:15 AM in response to Brandon Krieger

Hi

can you help? I have el capitan and have found the album called 'recently deleted'. I need to purge the contents as have no space left, but dont know how. I cant find any option to empty the folder or delete anything. The only option it gives me is 'get info' which just tells me how many items are in there. There is no trash can to drag and drop to.

Jul 14, 2016 11:51 AM in response to Brandon Krieger

Does this actually remove the photos from my hard drive?

Before, I would be in iPhotos, delete images, empty the iPhotos trash, where they would end up in my Mac's trash for me to clear out. But, with Photos, I just delete what's in the "Recently Deleted" folder and they aren't sent to my Mac's trash, so I have no idea if they're actually off of my hard drive.

Jul 14, 2016 11:52 PM in response to pleasurepamela

But, with Photos, I just delete what's in the "Recently Deleted" folder and they aren't sent to my Mac's trash, so I have no idea if they're actually off of my hard drive.

When you empty the Recently Deleted album the photos will be removed from your hard drive and iCloud and any device syncing with your library, if you are using iCloud Photo Library. You should be seeing the free storage increase after deleting many photos this way.

If you are still keeping an older photos library (iphoto Library or Aperture Library) on your hard drive that you migrated to Photos, the storage may not be released because the storage for image files will be shared between libraries, if the photos are still in the old library. See this document: Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

Aug 27, 2016 6:20 AM in response to Brandon Krieger

Thank you, Brandon, for letting me know how to do this. It was driving me nuts trying to figure out how to get rid of the photos. I hate that I downloaded El Capitan. It has caused nothing but problems for me including taking forever to find a picture that I need to use because it takes FOREVER to go through the pictures. They are no longer easily accessible in their albums when I need to find something. That is why I am trying to just permanently delete a few thousand so I don't have so many to go through.

Aug 27, 2016 7:50 AM in response to Yer_Man

I have my photos in albums, but it wouldn't give me the option to find a picture from an album. It just showed the whole photo library. That what was so aggravating. Before I updated to El Capitan and it changed from iPhoto to just Photos, it gave me the option to look in an album which made it so much easier to find the picture, but now it just brings up the whole photo gallery. This happens when I was trying to find a picture to upload to the internet a particular photo to create a business card online.

How to delete photos in photos on El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.