Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.0.2: unable to search for podcasts

when I tap the magnifying glass in the new and improved apple podcasts app, the screen is completely blank.

I have my network and battery and so on at the top. I'm connected to wifi. Underneath that is a completely blank screen all the way to the bottom where the podcast categories and icons are.

User uploaded file

WHERE HAS THE SEARCH GONE?

Edited: added screenshot

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.0.2, 8GB

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 4:49 AM

24 replies

Apr 4, 2017 11:00 PM in response to Lost in Asia

Hello!!

This has been bugging me for a while now and whilst none of the options above worked for me, I seem to have just found a way that did work, yippee!

Settings>Podcasts>turn on mobile data

This is despite my iTunes & App Store already being set to use mobile data etc. Obviously the Podcast app requires its own settings here.

Hope someone else finds this useful!

Oct 3, 2015 7:01 PM in response to Tim St.Clair

OK, that's unfortunate. Sometimes in iOS fields are still present even though they don't appear, if that makes sense, but I guess that's not the case with this issue.

For what it's worth: searching for podcasts on the phone itself, rather than within the podcast app, can work fairly well depending on what you're after. If you pull down from the main screen for Spotlight and type a search term, the phone seem pretty good at showing you all relevant results from any podcast that's on your podcast list (subscribed or not), whether or not that episode has been downloaded. However, I believe it doesn't search other podcasts - i.e. ones that aren't in your podcast list.

Nov 26, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Tim St.Clair

I had this same problem. I searched around for an answer, but couldn't find one (resetting, restarting, etc.).

By chance, I tried long-clicking on the magnifying glass, and then "poof!" The daggone thing appeared. Try it and see if it works.

Just click the tool once to get to the blank screen (like the one in the post), and then long-click it again. I don't know why it worked (for mine and for my lady's), but it did.

Dec 4, 2015 3:49 AM in response to Tim St.Clair

Now it's the whole app store. The only option in the app store that shows anything at all is UPDATES. Store is blank. Search is blank. Categories is blank.

Power cycling the phone, trying 4g instead of wifi, none of these things make it work again.

I'm having to search for the apps I need using iTunes then transfer them as purchases to the phone using iTunes wifi sync.

Because the app store DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE.

Feb 26, 2016 10:39 AM in response to Tim St.Clair

Was having the same issue.

What seemed to solve it for me was turning on "Cellular Data" in Settings>Podcasts

Could be that it fails to load when there is no data connection. Thus, even if you were connected to WiFi, if the signal was bad, slow or problematic, you wouldn't see Top Charts, Featured or have the search function.

Just a thought. That has seemed to clear up the problem for me.

Mar 11, 2016 10:49 AM in response to peterKW

I had the same problem that Tim and a few others noted (with both the Podcast app and the App Store). None of the above solutions worked for me. What finally did work was going to Settings -> iTunes & App Stores and signing out, restarting my phone (mainly because I couldn't sign back in initially), and then signing back in. Once I did that, all the content came back in both apps.

Hope this helps!

iOS 9.0.2: unable to search for podcasts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.