Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sh:/usr/bin/lockfile error message

Yesterday (10/2) I upgraded my iMAC (8,1 early 2008, Intel) to El Capitan (OS10.11) from OS10.10.5. All went well. When it started this morning, an error message occurred:

sh:/usr/bin/lockfile No such file or directory(127)

How can I resolve this issue?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 8,1 Early 2008

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 5:09 AM

I have figured out that this problem is between El Capitan and Super Duper, a backup program from Shirt Pocket. Updating my OS from 10.10.5 to 10.11 caused Super Duper a problem. An update to Super Duper was posted and I installed it (v 2.8 v96), but the Super Duper scheduled backup that was to run this morning still posted the error:

sh:/usr/bin/lockfile no such file or directory.

I opened Super Duper's scheduler to try to start the desired backup from the scheduler interface. The error message appeared again. I then started a backup using the control panel rather than the scheduler. The backup ran. I then redid the scheduler. That seems to have eliminated the error message.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2015 5:09 AM in response to JH1505

I have figured out that this problem is between El Capitan and Super Duper, a backup program from Shirt Pocket. Updating my OS from 10.10.5 to 10.11 caused Super Duper a problem. An update to Super Duper was posted and I installed it (v 2.8 v96), but the Super Duper scheduled backup that was to run this morning still posted the error:

sh:/usr/bin/lockfile no such file or directory.

I opened Super Duper's scheduler to try to start the desired backup from the scheduler interface. The error message appeared again. I then started a backup using the control panel rather than the scheduler. The backup ran. I then redid the scheduler. That seems to have eliminated the error message.

Oct 7, 2015 6:13 PM in response to JH1505

Had the same error....sh:/usr/bin/lockfile No such file or directory(127) after upgrading OS X.

I did have Superduper installed at one point but not during the OS X upgrade to El Capitan. I downloaded the latest version of super duper and checked the schedule/tasks. There was an older/invalid task listed in the scheduler. I deleted it and all is good now.

Oct 10, 2015 8:12 AM in response to JH1505

This helped me, thank you! I now have SuperDuper running error free. Prior to this update it always failed to exit after a backup, but now that is fixed too.

Let me add a little insight. When I first opened SuperDuper when attempting your fix, I was prompted by OSX as to whether I wanted to run this program that had been downloaded from the internet. I said I did, and then ran a manual backup and then all was well as you said. I think maybe it was that prompt to give the app permission to run the first time that might have been hanging things up. Anyway, thanks again for helping to fix a problem that had been nagging me for a while!

Nov 29, 2015 4:18 PM in response to JH1505

I tried all of the suggested solutions with no success:

1. Updated SuperDuper to latest version
  2. Deleted Old Schedule
  3. Ran from the backup from the SD control panel

What DID work was deleting my version of SuperDuper app and it's associated Support Files with the help of Hazel App then I downloaded a fresh new version of SuperDuper from ShirtPocket and installed it. THAT WORKED!

No more "sh: /user/bin/lockfile: No such file or directory (127)" error message and my scheduled backup ran as planned.

sh:/usr/bin/lockfile error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.