Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased music on disk but not in library

With the Apple Music trial coming to an end, I decided not to renew it. Instead, I purchased several songs that I had discovered via the service.

A few of the purchased songs don't appear in my iTunes library interface. If I view one of the albums, the list of tracks skips from track 6 to track 8. However, if I look in the iTunes folder on disk, the actual m4a files are present, and I can play them in other applications. Thus, it seems to be a metadata problem and not a "missing media" problem.

The "missing" songs show up as purchased in the store, and in the "Purchases" interface, iTunes lists them as being present (i.e., doesn't give an option do download them again). They were not listed as "hidden".

I tried copying the files to my desktop and then importing them into iTunes: they played, but are still unfindable in the interface.

Any ideas on how to get them to show up in iTunes?

Running iTunes 12.3.0.44 on Mac OS X 10.10.5

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 5:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 8:17 AM

Replying to my own post with a work-around I found in case it helps someone else:

I got a free app from the app store called Tag Stripper and used it to remove the metadata from the "missing" m4a files. I was then able to import them into iTunes and have them show up. I used iTunes to add back info like artist and album by hand.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Scrim

Replying to my own post with a work-around I found in case it helps someone else:

I got a free app from the app store called Tag Stripper and used it to remove the metadata from the "missing" m4a files. I was then able to import them into iTunes and have them show up. I used iTunes to add back info like artist and album by hand.

Purchased music on disk but not in library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.