Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Early 2008 Freezing

Hello I have a Early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 and am experiencing intermittent freezes.

Computer spec's:

2 x 2.8 GHz Quad Core Xeon

14 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

OSX 10.8.5

Dell 1707FP

Dell E228WFP

Logitech M705 Wireless mouse

The cursor/mouse will stop moving, and will be non-responsive. There is no beachball of death, the mouse just stops moving. Within a few seconds the computer's fans will rev up to high and the only way to exit is to do a hard restart (hold down the power button.) There seems to be no particular program running when this happens. It happens at different time using the computer (just after start up, after the computer has been on for awhile, and if I leave the computer inactive for a while.) The computer does not write a panic log after the incident.

I have uninstalled various programs I thought may have been the problem, I have run multiple passes with Apple Hardware Test, with the long test check box enabled, I have moved the RAM riser cards and run AHT again. I replaced the graphics card which failed (the freezes happened before and after the HD 5770 was installed) I have repaired permissions with Disk Utility. I have started the computer in Safe mode. I have done a clean install of OSX 10.8.5. Today I have eliminated the USB hub of the Dell 1707FP monitor and eliminated the Apple aluminum key board.

Does anyone have any ideas how to trouble shoot this further? This computer does everything I need it to do. If I upgrade my OSX further I loose functionality of software I use daily. I have thought about taking RAM out in pairs to see if I have bad RAM. Any help would be appreciated.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 6:12 AM

1 reply

Mac Pro Early 2008 Freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.