Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My hyphenation does not work und OS X 10.11

I habe installed OSX 10.11 and I work on big document with pages 4.3. Since the installation of OS X 10.11 the hyphenation does not function, in con sequence the layout is destroyed. How can i get the auction back. I need it eagerly.

If anyone knows the way, please let me know.

Thanks, HEA

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 8:59 AM

At the bottom of the Document Inspector, is a check box for Hyphenate. In the Text Inspector, under its More tab, and at its bottom, is another check box for Remove hyphenation for paragraph. Is the first checked, and what effect does enabling it have on your expected hyphenation result?

I have opened a Word document of the Invisible Man, and with the above hyphenation options checked/unchecked, and playing with different fonts/sizes, line height, character spacing, justification, and document margins, I cannot get hyphens to appear with Pages '09 v4.3 on El Capitan. Bump.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2015 8:59 AM in response to hartmut e.

At the bottom of the Document Inspector, is a check box for Hyphenate. In the Text Inspector, under its More tab, and at its bottom, is another check box for Remove hyphenation for paragraph. Is the first checked, and what effect does enabling it have on your expected hyphenation result?

I have opened a Word document of the Invisible Man, and with the above hyphenation options checked/unchecked, and playing with different fonts/sizes, line height, character spacing, justification, and document margins, I cannot get hyphens to appear with Pages '09 v4.3 on El Capitan. Bump.

Oct 5, 2015 4:31 PM in response to VikingOSX

Hyphenation doesn't work for me using Pages 4.3 in OS X El Capitan (I tried Pages 4.2 also). The layout of all my documents is destroyed (not if I open the document in Pages installed over Yosemite or under). The .plist is the same that I was using in Yosemite, and the general settings of each document is the same, also.

I don't understand what happened with hyphenation in Pages 4.3 and OS X El Capitan, but I can't work adding manually "-" to all lines of the document with big blank spaces. I can't work with Pages 5 yet (great).

Any solution?

Oct 5, 2015 5:12 PM in response to Alberto Luis

And you have adjusted the inter-word spacing percentage, line-height, justification, and changing the font itself? Beyond that, Pages '09 v4.3, and Pages v5.5.3 offer only two settings to recognize or ignore hyphenation. There is no user tuning of hyphenation, like there is in LibreOffice, or possibly other non-Apple word processing applications. Several have free trials. Export your content to Word and try hyphenation in Nisus Writer Pro, Mellel, etc.

There is something about El Capitan that both versions of Pages use that is impacting hyphenation.

Oct 6, 2015 4:27 PM in response to VikingOSX

Nothing. If I create a document in Pages 4.3 in OS X El Capitan the hyphenation doesn't work but if I open that document in Pages 4.3 running over Yosemite (or Mavericks, Lion...), the hyphenation works correctly. The same if I create a document in Yosemite and I send the document to El Capitan. I can work with the document in El Capitan, the layout will be seen destroyed ONLY in El Capitan, because when I open the document saved in El Capitan in another mac running Yosemite, the layout is correct (because hyphenation work in Yosemite).

I have tried pages 4.3 installed in another partition with El Capitan and doesn't work, too. The problem occurs with Spanish selected as Language. The settings are always the same (I copy the .plist and the template). I have changed the font, too. Helvetica, Palatino, Lucida...

I think that is a problem of El Capitan because I am not able to solve this. I tried with pages installed from DVD original (that I installed in Yosemite, before update), and I have tried also with a copy of Pages 4.3 sold in Mac App Store (it's a package). Results: hypens doesn't work.

:/

Jan 11, 2016 12:26 AM in response to hartmut e.

PLEASE read this, and please only reply if you can really help.

There are people who desparately neet to use Pages 4.3. PLEASE do not recommend us to use Pages 5 instead. This really is a question about Pages 4.3 and OSX 10.11.

Please do not explain the standard way to turn hyphenation on and off. We know how to do that.

The problem is that hyphenation in Pages 4.3 does no longer work at all under OSX 10.11. How can it be made to work again.

Repeat: Pages 5 is no alternative.

Thank you for reading.

Jan 28, 2016 4:24 PM in response to Hanno of Nijmegen

You are correct. The culprit is El Capitan. Hyphenation does not work in Pages '09 (aka Pages 4.3). It does work in Pages 5. But Pages 5 is totally worthless to anyone producing more than one page documents. I use Pages to design and layout books. Used to work great, but not now. I proved this by opening a 425 page manuscript I created on Pages 4.3 under El Capitan, and that I was unable to hyphenate, on another computer operating under Mavericks. It hyphenated just fine. Everything exactly the same except for the OS. So what is the solution? Here is what I have tried:

1. Create the doc in Pages '09 with automatic text flow and then open it in Pages 5. The text will be hyphenated, but the text boxes will be unlinked and a new paragraph is inserted at the top of every page. No good.

2. Export the doc created in Pages '09 to create a Microsoft WORD .docx file. The text will now be hyphenated, but everything else (drop caps, text wrap, image borders, captions, etc.) will be totally screwed up. No good.

3. Manually hyphenate. Just kidding. On a 128,000 word manuscript that would take three days and if you make one edit afterwards, it gets totally screwed up.

4. Re-install Yosemite or Mavericks. Not easily done and not advisable. But if all else fails...

5. Start over with a program that does page layout properly with hyphenation and text flow. And if you don't want to shell out the dough for Adobe InDesign or Quark Xpress, I have had good luck with iStudio. And it runs fine under El Capitan. I was able to migrate a manuscript from Pages '09 to iStudio using cut and paste pretty rapidly.

If anyone has a better solution (other than marching on Cupertino to demand linking text flow in Pages), please post it here. Thanks.

My hyphenation does not work und OS X 10.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.