Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup Stalls after El Capitan Upgrade

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013, 2.3 GHzIntel Core I7 processor, 16 GB 1600MHzDDR3 RAM). I use Time Machine to back up to a 1 terabyte WD My Passport drive.

Since I upgraded to Es Capitan from Mavericks, Time machine stalls near the end of the process every time I try. I never had this problem before. After I upgraded to El Capitan, I erased my drive, so it would be a completely fresh backup. I have a 500 GB hard drive, with about half of that free. The beginning of the backup proceeds normally.When about 85 GB remains of the 250GB, the drive stalls.

I have tried System Preferences -click spotlight -click privacy tab-dragging My Passport drive icon, but that did not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 5:19 AM

Had the same problem, trying to backup several times after upgrading to El Capitan.

Today, two days later, I just retried and it did work out fine just as expected.

Maybe just give it another try...

35 replies

Oct 6, 2015 8:18 AM in response to TJCPHD

Same here. After upgrading to El Capitan, her laptop showed a 47 GB back up was due! No idea why it was so large. All it was was a El Capitan upgrade, 10 GB? Anyway, after leaving the backup on (Time Capsule, via WiFi) for about 36 hours, it had only done about 12 GB or so. I killed it.

I then tried a hard line into the TM. After three DAYS, it had only done 14 GB! Now my iMac, which for some bizarre reason suddenly says it needs a 17GB backup today (long after the El Capitan upgrade & back up). It did this 17 GB backup in under two hours. So something is awry here.

I'd hate to wipe her old backup, but that may be all I can do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. (And yes there is whopping amount of TM hard drive space let).

Oct 6, 2015 10:46 AM in response to TJCPHD

I have been seeing the same thing, intermittent stalling of the TimeMachine backup on my MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013) to Time Capsule. It mostly clears itself if I cancel the current backup. I have noticed that if you leave it blocked for a while your next backup will be large.

If i babysit the backup (i.e. keep checking on its progress and keep the computer awake) it seems less likely to stall.

Oct 6, 2015 3:49 PM in response to TJCPHD

Still, my back up of about 250 GB stalls at about 80ish left.

I installed the widget in El Cap.. not the easiest thing to do but easier than using console for time machine log messages..

You need to find out why or what is happening from TM logs.

Time Machine buddy does still work.. See A1 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

I am running a backup now.. to a non-apple backup target and it is extraordinarily slow. It is a clean install with almost nothing extra.. it is 22GB yet it is saying 40min to complete when Carbon Copy Cloner can do it so much faster.

Let me also then recommend if you cannot work this out.. give up on Time Machine for a while and spend a bit on 3rd party backup software.. Carbon Copy Cloner or Chronosync are both very good.. and much less troublesome.

Oct 14, 2015 8:54 PM in response to TJCPHD

Mid 2009 mbp (ssd and 8 gb ram). Installed el cap with kaspersky over Yosemite. Had trouble booting so uninstalled kasp in "safe mode". Booted beautifully. Installed Sophos anti-virus as kaspersky has nothing ready for osx 10.11 to date. Had a problem with " Time Machine." Ran disk utility "First-aid" on both the ssd and the USB containing my time capsule. Did not journal First-aid on USB with time capsule, wish I would have, but it took several minutes. Still ran slow. Opened Sophos preferences and added time machine to the excluded list. Still slow. Went back to sophos preferences and unticked the "Adware and PUAs" box, effectively disabling it, and am now zooming along.

My first back-up is about 16 gb. I expect it to take a while, four or five hours, with the update to el cap. I have my wi-fi shut off during the time capsule. The last thing I need is some bug. I will tick the box to reactivate sophos before getting on line again. This was all trial and error but it worked for me. Anti-virus software has been the source of several problems with el cap. Hope this helps someone. By the by, Sophos works very well with el cap and it's free.

Oct 16, 2015 12:50 AM in response to TJCPHD

Mac Pro 2009 w/ six monitors...SSDs, etc.

Time Machine died after upgrading to El Capitan. I had to put in a bug report with Apple, which they contacted me to run a diagnostic and send them a bunch of logs.

Time Machine won't even start-up, had to re-seed and delete all backups and took 18 hours to back everything up, even that didn't fix it. It won't also backup unless manually forced too.

Seems like Time Machine was ignored and left in alpha when going live. Other Macs in the house seem to be working fine.

Oct 25, 2015 2:00 PM in response to TJCPHD

You still need to make sure the network is solid.. that means for initial backup do not use wireless.. use ethernet.

Buy a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter.. this is utterly essential and they are not expensive.

Setup the TC as follows.

Start from a factory reset. No files are lost on the hard disk doing this.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Setup the TC again.

Then redo the setup from the computer with Mavericks--Yosemite--ElCapo. (MYELCAP)

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg TCgen5 for basestation and TCwifi wireless name.

If the issue is wireless use TC24ghz and TC5ghz with fixed channels as this also seems to help stop the nonsense. But this can be tried in the second round. ie plan on a first and second round of changes to fix this.. hopefully.. I will point out other steps that can be round2.

2. Use all passwords that also comply with 1. but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

3. If the TC is main router you can skip this point. This is only an issue when the TC is bridged.

Ensure the TC always takes the same IP address.. you will need to do this on the main router using dhcp reservation.. or a bit more complex setup using static IP in the TC. But this is important.. having IP drift all over the place when MYELCAP cannot remember its own name for 5 min after a reboot makes for poor networking.

4. Check your share name on the computer is not changing.. make sure it also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. but this change will mess up your TM backup.. so be prepared to do a new full backup. Sorry.. keep this one for second round if you want to avoid a new backup.

5. Mount the TC disk in the computer manually.

In Finder, Go, Connect to server from the top menu,

Type in SMB://192.168.0.254 (or whatever the TC ip is which you have now made static. As a router by default it is 10.0.1.1 and I encourage people to stick with that unless you know what you are doing).

You can use name.. SMB://TCgen5.local where you replace TCgen5 with your TC name.. local is the default domain of the TC and doesn't change.

However names are not so easy as IP address.. nor as reliable. At least not in Yosemite they aren't. The domain can also be an issue if you are not plugged or wireless directly to the TC.

6. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only. Do the same for ethernet if you use it.

There is a lot more jiggery pokery you can try but the above is a good start.. if you find it still unreliable.. don't be surprised.

You might need to do some more work on the computer itself. eg Reset the NVRAM/PRAM/SMC.. has helped some people. Clean install of the OS is also helpful if you upgrade installed.

Tell us how you go.

Oct 25, 2015 2:40 PM in response to TJCPHD

I posted earlier that i had the same problem.

Now it seems my Time Capsule has failed.

I received the following message

User uploaded file

Not sure what to do. I can enter all the backups through Time Machine.

Don't want to give up the security of have the historic backups.

I was thinking of saving the whole file to another drive before doing the new backup.

Time Machine Backup Stalls after El Capitan Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.