Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

el Capitan boot problem.

I've installed el capitan on my 2012 mac mini and after the install everything is running great. Except, when I shut the machine down it won't re start!

It gets to the apple logo and progress bar, but the bar doesn't populate at all.

I tried leaving it for half an hour to see if anything would happen, but it didn't!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 7:46 AM

15 replies

Oct 4, 2015 2:22 PM in response to telelogic

Just restore data, do not restore apps, settings or the OS itself.

However, since you say you can't boot you can't make a TM backup.

If you can boot to Recovery you can copy/clone the internal disk to an external disk via disk utility. See:

http://www.newertech.com/tech_support/manuals/mac/clon_data.php

The after you format and reinstall EC you can hopeful copy data from the external disk.

Oct 6, 2015 11:18 AM in response to telelogic

Ok.

I have managed to make a time machine backup, wipe the drive, installed El Capitan.

after going through the setup all seems to be working.

Now, What do I need to bring in from my backup? and where do I put them?

My iTunes library is on an external drive, but even though I've told iTunes where it is, none of my albums are showing!

I have noticed that the new os has created it's own iTunes files, do I need to get rid of those?

Sorry to be such a pain, but I'm feeling a bit lost.

Oct 11, 2015 4:27 AM in response to telelogic

I had exactly the same problem on my MacBook Pro laptop. Re loaded El Captain (EC) OS X. Problem back. Finally spoke to 2nd level Apple support. He helped me reformat disk and re install EC. Now laptop works fine. Big problem with this, is to the install all the programmes again, lots of hassle, looking for licence keys etc, took me a whole day.

Yesterday got back home. Installed EC on iMac desktop. Same problem, exactly the same. At the moment I don't have the time to format the hard disk, so downloaded EC form the server. Takes ages, but at least all the programs and data are intact. Wont turn the power off. Later when I have more time, will have to flog through the re-formatting and re-loading all the programmes. Dreadful prospect.

Any way we can highlight this to Apple, and encourage them to release a fix?

el Capitan boot problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.