Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 asking for passcode instead of Touch ID because it thinks it hasn't been unlocked in over 48 hours

I have an iPad Air 2 running iOS 9.0.1. Twice since I've upgraded to iOS 9 I've gotten a message when trying to unlock my iPad that it needs my passcode because my iPad hasn't been unlocked in more than 48 hours. This morning it happened after having used my iPad last night. Anyone else experiencing this issue? I suppose I'll try the iOS 9.0.2 update for now and see if there's any change.

iPad Air 2-OTHER, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 9:18 AM

28 replies

Oct 13, 2015 12:12 PM in response to mike5577

Hi,

I am posting for my son who has an iPad AIR 2 running iOS 9.0.2 who is having the same issue.

He is reluctant to "reset" the fingers he has enrolled after looking at this Document from Apple Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad - Apple Support.

The Help at the bottom does not mention this scenario or anything similar.

The common factor which the Posts so far mention is that it is "Overnight" which might point to an issue at midnight.

His iPad is set for 24 hours and he tells me he rarely uses it after midnight.

Again he has no problem with is iPhone which is also running iOS 9.0.2

I am subscribed to everything I post (Mostly about iChat and Messages on the Mac).

User uploaded file

8:11 p.m. Tuesday; October 13, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Oct 14, 2015 12:11 PM in response to Cambridge Home

Humm,

Polls on the Apple Community Communities are forbidden.

I am interested though in whether the date and time showing 00.00.00 for at least a second might lie at the heart of this.

User uploaded file

8:11 p.m. Wednesday; October 14, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 14, 2015 12:52 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I have experienced the same issue. Mine has happened mid-day before though. I have a corporate email set up on my personal device. I know with iOS 9, Exchange can enforce policies on a non-MDM iPad. I haven't confirmed with my IT team, but I wonder if they changed a setting and it made the iPad think it had been 48 hours since it had last been accessed.

Oct 14, 2015 1:22 PM in response to celliott147

Humm,

That blows that idea out of the water then.

My son made no changes before or afterwards (partly as he could not access it straight away).

It would have been connected to the LAN the whole time and everything I have checked as the same IP address it normally has and his iPad Air has not left the house in weeks.

I searched the community and this was the only thread that turned up using "48 hours Touch ID"

Using Touch ID 48 hours throws up lots of other threads where 48 hours is listed but not much to do with the Touch ID and this 48 hour notice that is not really 48 hours.

I will check with him if the iPad may have lost power and dropped off the LAN at some point (that would count as a Shut Down and get a different messages according to the help page).

User uploaded file

9:22 p.m. Wednesday; October 14, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 15, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Briansyddall

Briansyddall wrote:

Hi

When you turn on iPhone / iPad each day you

Always have to enter your passcode .

If touch id is not working well enter finger print again.

Cheers

Brian ( UK )

Brian,

You are assuming folks turn their iPad or iPhone off each day. Yes, after a reset or restart iOS devices require the actual passcode and won't accept Touch ID the first time the screen is unlocked. But I received the "48 Hours" message on my iPhone and it is never turned off at night and I haven't reset or restarted the phone in several weeks.

Oct 15, 2015 12:22 PM in response to Briansyddall

Hi,

My son's is the same.

It was just left on the corner of his bed overnight and the screen Slept but that was it. (well, he slept as well but that's another story).

He has now had the same issue on his iPhone he tells me today.

However I do know that is set to "DO Not Disturb" via Scheduling.

I will check it if the iPad has a DO NOT Disturb setting.

EDIT.

Both his iPhone and iPad AIR 2 have Do Not Disturb settings.

Despite this it has only happened once on the iPhone where it seems almost constant on the iPad.

(i.e. it does not seem relevant.)

User uploaded file

8:16 p.m. Thursday; October 15, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

iPad Air 2 asking for passcode instead of Touch ID because it thinks it hasn't been unlocked in over 48 hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.