Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the AppStore downloading so slow?

I'm from Costa Rica and this issue is driving me crazy. I've been trying to download OS X El Capitan with my 3 MBPS internet connection, I know it's not one of the fastest speeds, but usually downloads are at 350 KB/s and using Activity Monitor I can see that the AppStore is downloading at 26 KB/s and download time says is going to take more than 6 days to complete the download. This only happens when trying to download from the AppStore, even with my iphone and ipad when trying to download apps updates, downloads take like forever.

And it's not my internet connection, I already talk to my ISP and they say they're not having any issues and that my connection is working fine, even speedtest results are OK. YouTube HD videos work just fine at 720 p, and downloading from other Internet sites are at normal speeds too. I already looked for the problem in this site, I tried all the "solutions" they posted, but still no luck! 😢😢😢 1. Start in safe mode: Same problem with download speed even in safe mode. 2. Set certificate revocation list (CRL) to OFF, no luck! 3.VPN, no luck either. 4. Quitting storeaccountd, storeassed, storedownloadd, storeinapp processes, already did it but the AppStore is still downloading even worse than a dial up internet connection.

My boyfriend's Macbook Pro is downloading at ridiculously speeds too, so I can tell is not a problem with my Macbook Pro. And I've been here since Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and never had this problem when updating or downloading apps. It started with Yosemite.

Is it a virus? Is Apple restricting downloads speeds to Latin American countries because we are not so important for them 😠? Is it just me getting crazy 😕? Please help!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 11:20 AM

9 replies

Oct 6, 2015 5:50 PM in response to AndreyMG

I am from Costa Rica too, and I am having exactly the same issue. From my iphone, ipad, and mac book pro. I have tried from different networks, with the same results. It seems to me the problem is Costa Rica related or App Store related.

The problem occurs only with App Store. No slow connection with any other internet site or service I use.

Oct 6, 2015 6:06 PM in response to AndreyMG

Some folks resolve download and other connection issues by using either OpenDNS or Google Public DNS services. The best use is to use it as the DNS configuration in your modem/router/gateway device, but often the configuration in the computer or iOS device will over ride the other configuration if you don't have access.

Open DNS;

http://www.opendns.com

208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Google Public DNS;

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

Late 2012 Mac mini, OS X El Capitan 10.11; Apple Watch, 38 mm silver AL, Watch OS 2; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 9.0.2

Oct 8, 2015 2:53 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

The point is not the speed of 3MBPS ADSL 2+ connection, which should download things from any site at 350 kbps, as I said, I can watch in real time and without trouble HD videos in Youtube with that same connection and I have always had speeds around 350 kbps when downloading with that internet connection. The point here is that Apple Apps Store downloads in my country are at crappy and ridiculous download speeds: even with a 3 MBPS internet connection, an app from the appstore shouldn't download at 15 kbps when I'm, not downloading anything else (as I already said, a normal speed will be 350 kbps). This is like having an old dial-up internet connection, which is not my case!

Oh and I have always downloaded OS X updates with that internet connection without any trouble, this problem started recently (5 or 6 months ago a think).

Dec 30, 2015 2:28 PM in response to AndreyMG

Not sure what it is but in Australia, the ISP are blaming Apple. presently downloading either from MAC or iPhone from the IOS App store or MAC Store the download speeds are disgraceful.

a 6.2GB file normally takes 5 mins. but now 42MB takes 10 mins. i cancel the download, cause I'm not waiting my entire life for a download which would be superseded twice before i could download OSX EI Captain. We just have to put up with slowness.

Mar 4, 2016 12:50 AM in response to AndreyMG

Hi, I live in India and I recently purchased ipad mini 4 WifI 64gb (IOS 9.2.1). APP STORE DOWNLOADS are extremely slow over WiFi.

Iv got a 10Mbps connection but while downloading its like 10kbps.

I have tried all the workarounds but NO DNS CHANGE WORKS, RESET, RESET FROM ITUNES etc.

I can easily surf, stream videos at 1080p but downloading from App Store is the WORST.

Iv also tried to download Apps from itunes on my PC but got the same result. This is not an ISP issue.

I FEEL APPLE WANTS US TO BUY THEIR CELLULAR MODELS AND THIS IS THEIR STRATEGY.

WHY HAS APPLE NOT RESPONDED TO ANY POST AROUND GOOGLE/FORUMS/COMMUNITIES.

APPLE SIMPLY DOES NOT CARE THESE DISCUSSION. I DO NOT FIND ANY FORMAL REPLY OR WORKAROUND FROM APPLE.

I HAVE CONTACTED APPLE SUPPORT AND THEY HAVE NO CLUE OF SUCH ISSUE.

WHAT IS THE WORKAROUND IF YOUR DOWNLOAD SPEED IS STILL THE SAME ON CHANGING DNS ADDRESS.

I DONOT EXPECT ANY HELP FROM APPLE BUT...IS THERE ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS A WORKAROUND!!!

Mar 6, 2016 7:48 AM in response to sumitkapoor

Hi,

You aren't alone. The problem begin at the application 'start. I'm in France. I have this problem. It's a shame. I buy an application, 3 days to download. For me it's a return in the 15 years past.

The apple'serveur ***** really. Why concentrates software on the same basis, if they are not able to offer a flow correct has these users. I'm Furious. Personally I turn has 0,1-0,3 Mo/s. Inadmissible!!!

AppleStore is a Joke. A good idea, but prehistoric application in way.

In ten years, we have all to observe the deterioration of the quality of APPLE that is in the components of the computers (lifespan), of the SAV, repair; for a price increasingly more expensive.

Mar 7, 2016 6:39 AM in response to Wanhari

Everyone is facing the same ***** problem. I feel this is completely intentional as APPLE wants to sell their cellular models than WiFi.

I have tried to download apps over cellular network and they download flawlessly. That means there servers are fine.

Apple has restricted the download speed over WiFi that's what I feel. I have already started spreading the word not to buy APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!.

Wanhari - Let me know if you figure out something except changing the DNS.

Why is the AppStore downloading so slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.