Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Max OSx will not update past version 10.6.8 and now I cannot upgrade my iTunes past 11.4 to sync my new iPhone 6s. Help?!

I just recently purchased the iPhone 6s and am trying to sync it with my MacBook to pull my back-up from my previous iPhone. However, I get the error from iTunes that I need my iPhone cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. So I try to update my iTunes but it is telling me that my version of iTunes 11.4 is the current version. My MacBook is running on Mac OS X, version 10.6.8, and because it's so old (MacBook 3.1), this is the latest version I can upgrade too.

I don't know what to do. I cannot pull-up my iPhone back-up now at all. HELP!

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 11:11 AM

1 reply

Oct 3, 2015 11:47 AM in response to JenRem11

The story is iOS9 seems to require iTunes 12.3 which in turn requires OSX 10.8 or higher. Now some people say they have managed to get an iOS9 device to work with iTunes 11.4 and 12.2 as long as the iOS upgrade was not done using iTunes but done with wi-fi. Of course I don't know how you can do that if you have already upgraded unless an subsequent update gets it to work. I don't have anything with iOS so I can't check it out myself. If you find you cannot do this workaround you have limited options. One is to do nothing and hope it gets sorted out. Apple's own manual page for iOS9 says it requires 10.6.8 or higher, not 10.8. Another is to buy a newer computer since yours cannot upgrade OSX. Another is to use various workarounds to sync your phone with iCloud, backup to iCloud, transfer photo with Image Capture or PhotoStream, transfer files with Dropbox, etc.

My Max OSx will not update past version 10.6.8 and now I cannot upgrade my iTunes past 11.4 to sync my new iPhone 6s. Help?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.