Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You can use your Japan KDDI AU locked iPhone 6 Plus in the U.S. with an AT

I'm visiting the U.S. for 5 weeks and have a normal, KDDI AU iPhone 6 Plus. When I arrived in the U.S. I noticed the carrier signal said AT&T. So out of curiosity I went to an AT&T shop this morning and they said as long as it shows AT&T you can use it with a GoPhone prepaid contract.

So they took out my AU SIM and put in an AT&T SIM and sure enough it works as is! No unlocking necessary!

I got the $45/month unlimited talk and text + 1.5 GB plan.

I'm happy that I could use my Japan iPhone in the U.S. so easily and so just wanted to let others know who might be in a similar situation.

When I turned my phone on, by the way, I also got a text message from AU welcoming me to the U.S. and telling me that for a flat rate of ¥2,980/day (expensive!) I could use my iPhone 6 Plus as is. Checking online, it appears you need to turn on roaming for that, which I did not do.

It seems much better to just get an AT&T domestic card for your trip.

Anybody else with similar experiences?

doug

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), i5, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2017 1:12 AM

Hey Doug,

First of all thx for shared the info about using KDDI AU iPhone in USA. its really helped, appreciate it

I noticed that u also added more details about unlock KDDI AU iPhone 7 Plus

> With the iPhone 7 Plus you can automatically get them unlocked for free by the carrier in Japan because of law changes a couple of years ago.

I brought iPhone 7 from KDDI AU and it has more than 6 months and i got a plan to travel European country next month and I'd like to use local SIM so here's the question how do i unlock my KDDI AU iPhone?

I was told I can submit unlock request via web, but i didn't find a link to submit it. can u plz help me with that?

- Here's link, but its from 2015.

https://smhn.info/201504-kddi-au-unlock-simlock

Don't know if KDDI changed their unlock policy again, lol..

Anyway, let me know if u can help

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2017 1:12 AM in response to Doug Lerner2

Hey Doug,

First of all thx for shared the info about using KDDI AU iPhone in USA. its really helped, appreciate it

I noticed that u also added more details about unlock KDDI AU iPhone 7 Plus

> With the iPhone 7 Plus you can automatically get them unlocked for free by the carrier in Japan because of law changes a couple of years ago.

I brought iPhone 7 from KDDI AU and it has more than 6 months and i got a plan to travel European country next month and I'd like to use local SIM so here's the question how do i unlock my KDDI AU iPhone?

I was told I can submit unlock request via web, but i didn't find a link to submit it. can u plz help me with that?

- Here's link, but its from 2015.

https://smhn.info/201504-kddi-au-unlock-simlock

Don't know if KDDI changed their unlock policy again, lol..

Anyway, let me know if u can help

Nov 4, 2016 5:43 PM in response to Doug Lerner2

Does anybody happen to know if this is also true for the iPhone 7 Plus from KDDI AU?

With the iPhone 7 Plus you can automatically get them unlocked for free by the carrier in Japan because of law changes a couple of years ago. But I was thinking of taking a trip to the U.S. in April, just under 6 months, and was wondering if it works like it does with my iPhone 6 Plus - works on AT&T without unlocking.

Thanks.

You can use your Japan KDDI AU locked iPhone 6 Plus in the U.S. with an AT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.