Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I average numbers based on day of week?

Hi everyone,

I keep track of a number of figures on a daily basis (sales, number of transactions, etc...). My spreadsheet is laid out with the columns for the dates and rows for the figures. For example, 7/1/15 is column C, 7/2/15 is column D, 7/3/15 is column E, etc... and Sales is row 2, Transactions is row 3, etc...

I want to find out the averages for each day of the week, e.g. the average sales done on Sundays. Right now, I'm using the average function with each individual cell entered). For example, =average(c2,c9,c16,c23,etc...). This is manageable for now, but I can see it getting unwieldy.

I've been trying to get a single formula for this, but I haven't been able to get anything to work. Basically "average this range if the dates in this range are Sundays." I've tried sumproduct, averageif, and a few others, and keep getting syntax errors. Unfortunately, it seems like spreadsheet skills aren't up to the task.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

-Joe

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 9:44 PM

Hi Joe,

My first suggestion is going to be that you flip your table and have the dates descend a column rather than extend along rows. Numbers maxes out columns at 255. You can have 65536 rows.

I would approach this using an index column.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

With a popup in the footer you could retrieve totals for any day easily.

quinn

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2015 9:44 PM in response to JoeBear84

Hi Joe,

My first suggestion is going to be that you flip your table and have the dates descend a column rather than extend along rows. Numbers maxes out columns at 255. You can have 65536 rows.

I would approach this using an index column.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

With a popup in the footer you could retrieve totals for any day easily.

quinn

How do I average numbers based on day of week?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.