Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect Dell Optiplex running windows 7 to my airport express?

I recently installed an Apple Extreme router and Apple Airport Express in my home. My Dell Windows 7 Optiplex 360 desktop used to be able to connect to the internet via my old Linksys Router but now it cannot connect to the Apple device. I do know that the computer still connects well to the via usb hotspot on my iphone, but I cannot get it to connect to the Airport Express. I am not sure what wifi card I have and I think that I have VMware as the Network Adapter. Does anyone have any advice or experience? I am not super comfortable with networking so hopefully it won't be too complicated to get this to work. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 11:17 AM

2 replies

Oct 3, 2015 3:13 PM in response to mikeasmel69

Is the express extending the Extreme or is it setup in roaming?

If you can plug the optiplex into something.. Extreme or Express by ethernet and turn off wireless.. does that work?

Apple uses names that cause problems on a PC.

Sorry but this means a fair bit of work if the express is extending..

1. Is there decent amount of wireless signal at the location of the Dell?? Use your laptop and see if it can connect ok at that location.

2. If you have setup extend .. try turning off the express and see if you can get a connection to the extreme.

3. Redo the setup of the controlling device.. that probably means the Extreme.. make sure you do NOT USE APPLE RECOMMENDED NAMES.

Use short names, with no spaces and pure alphanumerics.

Use no password for a test.

Test again with the Dell.. no luck then lock the 2.4ghz wireless channel to 11, 8, 6 in that order.

Still no luck sorry this is the most basic setup possible and any computer that fails with that setup will never connect.. use EOP adapters or buy a new wireless adapter for your dell.

If it does connect then use WPA2 Personal password.. same rules as the name but longer.. ie 8-20 characters pure alphanumeric mixed case and numbers.

Oct 4, 2015 7:48 AM in response to LaPastenague

Wow. Thanks so much for this. I will try many of these things out.

I am concerned that the real problem is with my Dell wireless itself. I think that there may be a problem with wireless card and network adapter setup. I need to figure out a forum or somewhere/someone that can help me figure out the wireless setup on the pc.

I will however try to connect it via hardwire to the Extreme and the Express and turn off the wireless and see if I can get it to work via the Apple routers.

Thanks so much!

Can't connect Dell Optiplex running windows 7 to my airport express?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.