Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to scroll in my old time machine history line after I had formatted my iMac to new OS X is that possible?

Your answer were very helpfull for me.(How to restore from a Time Machine backup when there is already a user account set up?) and I have now used Migration Assistant for bring back my old user accounts after I have formate my iMac. But now I would like to use my Time Machine as I did before I formate my iMac to the new OS X so I can scroll back in my old backup in time machine is that possible?

In Time Machine I have tried to choose disk to security copy but that did not show my old backups. Or shall I choose to let Time Machine make a new security copy and will that show my old backups history line?

Hope someone can help.

Best Regards

Søren, Denmark

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 12:41 PM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2015 3:33 AM in response to sgkjaer

After your computer has been wiped and reinstalled, Time Machine will try to start a fresh backup (a full backup) of your entire disk. It will not contain any old versions of files which are not on your computer.

If your Time Machine backup drive (with the folder Backups.backupdb) or your Time Capsule sparsebundle file still contains your old backups then you may still be able to access the old files. But if you can not scroll back to an old date in your TimeMachine view, then it is impossible to join it to your newest TimeMachine view.

Oct 4, 2015 1:41 PM in response to sgkjaer

We are still getting used to changes made in TM ..

Sorry but we don't have a lot of direct experience yet.. but from previous life.. ie Lion to Yosemite.. I suspect when you upgrade to a new OS.. and after migrating your old TM user files.. you should start a new backup.. archive the old one for use when need arises.. and only then.. after 6 months I doubt you will need it.

Each version of TM has its own quirks and starting a new backup is strongly recommended.

I would like to scroll in my old time machine history line after I had formatted my iMac to new OS X is that possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.