Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blurry rendering in Preview on OS X 10.11

I own a mid 2012 13" MacBook Air.

I have upgraded to OS X 10.11 El Capitan, and love the new features and performance improvements!

Sadly, the rendering of PDF files in Preview is not working as before: at certain zoom levels, the fonts are utterly blurry.

I tried to disable "Use LCD font smoothing when available" in System Preferences -> General, but it does not fix the

problem.

I also tried to disable "Smooth text and line art" in Preview Preferences, "PDF" tab, and the situation improves a bit.

But again, changing the zoom causes the fonts to be rendered with a strange smoothing effect, kind of a drop shadow.

Something like this happened in early Yosemite releases, if I remember correctly, but later Apple resolved the issue.

Someone else having the same problem on a non-Retina display with El Capitan?

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 1:07 PM

16 replies

Oct 10, 2015 10:10 AM in response to cervolo

Hello,

i'm on 10.11 with a MBP13(2009), but connect it to several external TFT displays, resolution always at a minimum of HD at least, so doubt its linked to retina?!?

I always was a huge fan of previews font rendering.

Working also on PCs and LINUX, i found papers nowhere looked as good as displayed with preview.

This holds true until 10.10.5, but now i face serious issues.

Switching off smoothing makes the fonts crisp and readable, but now it looks ugly, and resizing makes it worse then (natural, since smoothing is off).

Very much reminds me of the Clear Type issue Microsoft had when they introduced it in Windows XP. Took until Windows 7 to really work in the end.

But Preview always had been perfect here...

Had to switch to Acrobat often because of preview's unusable markup-color, but for reading, preview still was great...

It seems to get worse and worse with preview, sorry, must say so. Do the developers hate this application ;-)

It was so great in 10.8, get back there! We need it!

Best

Oct 16, 2015 6:06 PM in response to cervolo

Exactly my problem too! On my 4K monitor, fonts look blurry, but when initiating page turns, they transiently sharpen.

Apple, please cut the crap and get your act together. This issue (or some variant thereof) surfaced in Mavericks. It was subsequently remedied in Yosemite, only to rear its ugly head yet again in El Capitan.

Oct 28, 2015 5:38 PM in response to wisep02

I am having this issue too. Sometimes when I double click on a word, the font will sharpen. But from my memory, it used to be a lot better. I started noticing this "soft" (versus sharp) font issue after El Capitan. To my eye Adobe Acrobat does use better, so I will probably switch back to Acrobat for the first time in like 10 years. Disabling the "Smooth text and line art" helps a little (it make sit look more like Acrobat) but this option is supposed to make things look BETTER not worse. Of note, I have a non-retina MacBook Air.

Nov 4, 2015 1:57 AM in response to slw287r

slw287r wrote:

While Smooth text and line art turned off, keep zooming in with two fingers and you will ended with a black screen hang. (MBP 2010-mid, El Capitan)

The same with my mid-2010 iMac, both with 10.11.0 and 10.11.1, although with one difference: the Preview window doesn't get black, but white. And if you continue zooming, then you get a system hang.

BTW, I'm also experiencing a blurry Preview display like the OP said, and the "smooth text and line art" doesn't change it, you see the PDF blurry no matter if you enable or disable that setting.

This is quite disappointing: 10.11 was supposed to be a "safe update", just fixing a lot of issues and making you system snappier. But fact is that Preview is still broken by 10.11.1, and it wasn't broken before updating to 10.11.

Blurry rendering in Preview on OS X 10.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.