Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the Apple equivalent to "ping -a"?

1) What is the Apple equivalent to "ping -a"?

2) 80 "iPad 2s" running ...

3) ...ios8 (some may be running ios9)

4) I need to get the HOSTNAME of 80 iPads in a school that instructs kids with autism. I can NOT get to each ipad. I can NOT disturb the kids or the teachers. (The iPads are locked promptly at 3pm sharp.) I can ping -a ALL of them AND get a reply, but no HOSTNAME is returned. Since I am running "ping -a" from Windows machines, I realize that Apple might not "want" to return the HOSTNAME from a Windows version of "ping" (We have no other types of PCs here (Linux, Unix, etc...)) My boss reluctantly will let me use 1 "non-classroom" iPad to open a terminal window. I do NOT know what command to use. This Monday I will have access to 1 iPad; I will try to use "ping -a" , but I anticipate that that won't work.

5) I will be using 1 Apple iPad to "interrogate" 80 other iPads; I need the "true" HOSTNAME to be returned.

6) If anybody knows of a command that I could run in a Windows PC, I would like to know - because I might not have access to said single iPad long enough to complete my task.

7) This is a new job and I need to "shine"!! LOL!!

PLEASE help me!!!

iPad 2, iOS 8, many iPads(ios 8.x-9.x)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 12:43 PM

2 replies

What is the Apple equivalent to "ping -a"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.