Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want secure empty trash as the default.

There no longer seems to be the option to set "secure empty trash" as the default in El Capitan. I have always set my trash to be deleted in that manner, so I was surprised that the option was entirely missing in the Finder settings.

Is it completely gone or is it just hidden somewhere.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 12:22 PM

10 replies

Oct 3, 2015 5:47 PM in response to Jonathan UK

It certainly wasn't addressed given the feature was removed. That's like saying the issue of forest fire prevention was addressed by cutting down the forest. No it wasn't addressed, it was avoided.

People with flash drives need to have media specific secure deletion provided to them... in the mean time people with regular HDD shouldn't have to suffer the loss of a function. The nature of the drive can be identified on System Information so Mac OS can be designed to disable "secure empty trash" when it detects a SSD given that function would not work properly in that instance.

Oct 3, 2015 6:36 PM in response to Starry001

People with flash drives need to have media specific secure deletion provided to them

There is no such thing - hopefully something will come along. For now, there are time consuming workarounds which include writing to disc until more than half is full, deleting that, doing it again, deleting that, installing any OS version on it, and deleting that (if I remember correctly). I've decided to make my SSD unreadable (when it goes) by using an old fashioned hammer.

As for secure erasing a regular HD - unless you are selling/giving away the Mac, there is really no need for it as the space will be written over again and again as soon as you write/delete/save anything. I have never used secure erase until I've sold the Mac, at which point I use a 3-pass erase.

Oct 3, 2015 11:00 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Jonathan UK wrote:

This is a user-based technical support community.

If you would like to submit feedback to Apple about the removal of the option, you can do so here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Thank you for the link. I was however hoping to find that there were indeed workarounds, which is why I came here.

When advising people on this issue, it would be better to state simply that there isn't a way to restore the feature, and if they want to know why, direct them to the link.

Oct 3, 2015 11:20 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

As for secure erasing a regular HD - unless you are selling/giving away the Mac, there is really no need for it as the space will be written over again and again as soon as you write/delete/save anything. I have never used secure erase until I've sold the Mac, at which point I use a 3-pass erase.

One can erase a disk using "Disk Utility." You can set it to erase and do up to a seven-pass zeroing which is considered by the U.S. government standard as being unrecoverable. At one time Disk Utility would allow you to zero unused space but that appears to be missing in the current app. But then it's been awhile since I have looked for that feature.

Oct 9, 2015 5:16 PM in response to babowa

Sadly, I have downgraded back to Yosemite. I'll stay there until I learn the issue of secure erase has been fixed. I also had a number of other bugs, and I realized that I wouldn't be comfortable having to deal with workarounds and missing features.

I see now I should have waited before adopting the new OS. Reviewers had been so positive I got too confident.

I want secure empty trash as the default.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.