Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

since upgrading to El Capitan my time machine now says it wants 36.03 PB space to backup...must be trying to backup the whole internet....lol

Since upgrading OS X and changing no settings my time machine now says it wants 36.03 PB space to back up...now I might be old but geez this is silly...anyone got any ideas what to check please.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 1:42 PM

6 replies

Oct 3, 2015 2:13 PM in response to megabitfromuk

Since upgrading OS X and changing no settings my time machine now says it wants 36.03 PB space to back up

Might 36.03 PB be 36.03 GB?

If yes, we've only had a day to take a look at some of the changes that have been made with El Capitan, but based on what we've seen and experienced ourselves, Time Machine has to make a tremendous number of changes to back up after the operating system has been installed.

When I checked with Apple Support about this yesterday, the answer was that this was "normal and expected".

The entire 36.03 GB might not actually be required, but you won't really know that until the backup completes. It might be good idea to set up the backup late this evening and start it up before you go to bed. With luck, it might be done by morning.

Oct 3, 2015 2:14 PM in response to megabitfromuk

I was thinking he must mean GB .. it is just a typo but then the comment about the whole internet.. PetaBytes I suppose is possible. So it needs 36,000TB??

I suspect something hit a limit even then.. the internet is huge..

Anyway reset Time Machine.

See A4 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

I strongly suggest you do NOT backup over your old backup.. preserve it by archiving the TC to a USB disk.. wipe the TC and start over. you will find loading OS ontop of OS makes TM very unreliable.

If you have issues tell me.. I have not yet upgraded a computer to ElCap but will do so shortly and see what new mess it makes of the network and TM backups.

Oct 3, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your reply Bob, but it's definitely PB and I ain't gonna buy 333 3TB Time Capsules....lol...anyway I'll rely on just backing up my laptop as a safeguard against any disasters, I have upgraded all my macs without any problems, 1 macbook air, 2 macbook pro's and both my iMacs but I only usually backup the 5k retina and retina macbook pro, so I can get by, thanks anyway Bob.

since upgrading to El Capitan my time machine now says it wants 36.03 PB space to backup...must be trying to backup the whole internet....lol

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.