Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After download, there is an error message, and El Capitan doesn't install. Why?

I downloaded El Capitan from the update page. After download, a message says that there was an error. It doesn't install. My software check says there are no new upgrades available. How might I install El Capitan?

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 2:27 PM

What EXACTLY does that error message say?

4 replies

Oct 4, 2015 9:12 AM in response to denisfile

If it was successfully downloaded, it appears as an Icon in your /Applications folder. (the / says starting at top-level on the Boot Drive.)

Open that folder and double-click on it. Two things could happen:

-- It will look at your Mac, set up some stuff, and then put up a dialog box inviting you to Restart. If you click Restart, it will Restart and begin executing the downloaded stuff, which is actually a stripped-down version of the Incoming (El Capitan) System, running the new Installer. The new Installer will move some files into place and get ready to be running the full versions on the next Restart. If it dies while installing, it should leave your original System unharmed.

--It will look at your Mac and produce an Error message. Copy faithfully post it here and readers can assist you.

--------

NB>>The reason you cannot download again is that Mac App Store sees the El Capitan Download sitting in your /Applications folder. You "obviously" do not need to download again, you already have it. But it cannot tell whether it might be damaged in some way.

So if you DO need to Download again, first drag the El Capitan Download to the Trash, empty the trash (takes a few minutes), THEN ask to Download again.

After download, there is an error message, and El Capitan doesn't install. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.