Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating El Capitan Netinstall Image

I'm trying to create a Netinstall image of El Capitan; however, it won't appear as a choice to create the image. I've read the Support Document at NetBoot, NetInstall, and NetRestore requirements in OS X El Capitan - Apple Support, but that seems to apply on using the image once you've created it.

I'm I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 6:23 PM

All that should be needed is the following:

1: A machine running Server.app or any machine running System Image Utility

2: Download the El Capitan installer from the App store and have it present in the Applications folder

You have four choices. NetInstall, NetRestore, NetBoot, and Package only. NetInstall is the easiest because you only need the El Capitan installer. Yes, you can add additional items to the payload, but at the basic, all that is needed is the Installer present in the Applications folder of the machine running System Image Utility.

NetRestore images assume you have created a master image that is than captured to the NetInstall service. NetBoot allows the capture of a prepared drive for booting and package only will deliver installation pkgs to the target machine when booted from the network.

I am guessing you forgot to download the El Cap installer.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "El Capitan Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author Mavericks Server and Yosemite Server series, also available in Apple's iBooks Store

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2015 6:23 PM in response to Jeffrey West

All that should be needed is the following:

1: A machine running Server.app or any machine running System Image Utility

2: Download the El Capitan installer from the App store and have it present in the Applications folder

You have four choices. NetInstall, NetRestore, NetBoot, and Package only. NetInstall is the easiest because you only need the El Capitan installer. Yes, you can add additional items to the payload, but at the basic, all that is needed is the Installer present in the Applications folder of the machine running System Image Utility.

NetRestore images assume you have created a master image that is than captured to the NetInstall service. NetBoot allows the capture of a prepared drive for booting and package only will deliver installation pkgs to the target machine when booted from the network.

I am guessing you forgot to download the El Cap installer.

Reid

Author "El Capitan Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author Mavericks Server and Yosemite Server series, also available in Apple's iBooks Store

Oct 6, 2015 4:07 AM in response to Jeffrey West

I created a partition, Installed EL Capitan.

Then 'stripped' the unwanted apps etc.

Then, Open System Image Utility, Source: New partition,

Then: 'next'

Then select netboot image, Then click 'customise'

Then do the 'bless netboot server' and add IP's

Go ahead and create the Netboot image,

I copied that up to the server and 'bob's your uncle'

cheers

Oct 6, 2015 4:50 AM in response to rob140

Selecting the drive as a source is valid if you want to perform a NetRestore image. Here is the basic difference.

A NetInstall image is designed to place your OS installer onto your network, allowing all machines to install from a centralized LAN server. It is created directly from the El Capitan App Store installer. When the workstations are booted from this image you perform an install.

NetRestore is network cloning. You build a master machine, capture it to the server, and then clone to the rest of the devices over your network. This is much like cloning DMGs through Disk Futility but you centralize it on the network.

Reid

Oct 15, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Jeffrey West

I'm trying to make a net install of El Capitan as well. Same problem, only get the option to create a NetBoot Image, not Net Install as a require.

Has anyone had any success?

I've tried even to make a NetBoot version and I get a "The operation couldn't be completed. (System Image Utility error 2.)

I tried using Yosemite to make the net restore image but it doesn't see the newer installer which is normal I think.

Creating El Capitan Netinstall Image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.