Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to install software, and it asks for my password. I do not know it. It then asked me for model and year, and I don't know what that means.

What do I do if I do not remember my password to install new software on a new computer?

PowerBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 2:06 PM

1 reply

Oct 3, 2015 2:25 PM in response to lmonge

Proper software installation on OS X will only prompt you for your administrator password. It should not care about your computer's model and year. I would be suspicious of this software if you did not get it directly from the OS X App Store, or directly from a well-known software developer. If it is something that you downloaded from adware on a website, be very afraid to install it. What is the name of the software?

If you do not know your administrator password, that is a problem too.

I am trying to install software, and it asks for my password. I do not know it. It then asked me for model and year, and I don't know what that means.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.