Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to take the video off of a DVD and put it onto my computer as a file to edit in iMovie.

I am trying to take the video off of a DVD and put it onto my computer as a file to edit in iMovie.

When I insert the dvd disc into the Apple external drive of my MacBook Pro the DVD is automatically recognized and opened with Samsung DVD Recorder. The DVD plays the video fine. When I go into iMovie to import the video there is NO data or video to select. Completely blank. When I go into HandBrake (the application I want to use to take the video from my DVD onto my computer) after I select source to show drop down list of sources the video is also blank. I am unable to find the content to select.

Any suggestions of what I can do? I gotta get this footage for a huge project. I would like for another application to automatically open when I stick the disc in but right now it defaults to this crummy Samsung DVD Recorder Volume player.

Thank you!

Im using:

OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5 Mac Book Pro Retina Mid 2014

Apple Disc Drive Model # A1379

DVD is a burned disc from production studio

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 12:58 PM

4 replies

Oct 3, 2015 7:56 PM in response to bethhagendorf

you could try the app store. there's a free dvd ripper there. If the original video is on your Samsung DVD recorder, usually to get it onto a dvd, you have to record and finalize it before it'll work. At least on the old DVD recorder I used to have, you had to select the dvd drive , put in a blank disk, then copy to DVD from the hard drive, then finalize and write to disc. only then will it be usable. Sadly, neither Handbrake or iMovie will let you rip dvd's as far as I know. otherwise, there are ones you can buy for say, $40 that might do the job

good luck

JB

Oct 5, 2015 12:34 PM in response to Michael Vallance

You know what after toying and toying around on my computer I finally got HandBrake to "see" or "select" the Samsung DVD Recorder as a file that it could convert! So thanks for re-itterating HandBrake. As it is FREE...

I was also able to get it to work with MacX DVD Ripper and iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe BUT those cost $40 for a year. So I did not use them yet.

As of right now I'm in the middle of the conversion with HandBrake fingers crossed it will work. Thanks!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.